Lesson Learned-Slow water leak in wall: Damage...Extensive.

4 Replies

So, brand new plumbing just prior to putting property into service in Nov, 2012,.  Slow leak developed at reducing coupler and gone unnoticed in wall between bath and kitchen. Fast Forward to December 2014.  Tenant reports "spongy floor".  Inspection reveals water rotted floor, wall, wall bottom plate on two walls, drywall bubbling under paint, top 1/4 inch layer of joists are spongy.  Floor is 3/4 inch subfloor with 3/4 inch hardwood, covered with 1/4 inch-5 ply, with Tarkett sheet vinyl.

Destroyed.  Insurance claim, denied.  Cost out of pocket:  $3,780 for total repairs.

Cost of water leak detectors with alarms: $32.00

Lesson learned....priceless.

Ibuprofen intake rate...doubled.

Spread this story so others don't make this mistake.  -J. 

I have been researching multiple types in the last week due to this event.   Most have a dipole detector which connects an open current to emit a high decibel tone up to 72 hours.  Some have mounts, some are wi-fi connected, some are one-time use, some use 9-volt or are plugged into wall outlets, etc.  Honeywell makes one with a four foot lead which can detect water at any point along the sensor, allowing loops around water heaters, washing machines, or piping.

I checked Consumer Reports and there is no testing or report for this product.  I have requested the testing.  Have not found any endorsements from insurance providers either...odd.

I am leaning toward the Honeywell RWD-41. Has a four foot sensor which can be extended. My total cost for my SFR and the 12 unit apartment building covering water heater, stacked laundry, and under sink is $1000, unless I can get a discount for bulk ordering.

Ugh, there's that headache again...

Promotion
Roofstock
Buy & sell single-family rentals online
Radically accessible real estate investing
Get access to exclusive property listings, proprietary data, and support to build your portfolio.
Learn More

How about this:

1) Regular inspection of all buildings and units

2) A clause in the leases requiring tenants to promptly report any signs of leakage, water intrusion, or potential mold

3) Consultants and contractors lined-up ready to call, as quick action reduces damage and repair expense. 

I own an environmental consulting company, and this is what we recommend to our clients, even though it means they may have less need for our mold consulting services.