• Oakland, CA
Votes |
Coverage for a wooded area away from hydrant & station in CA

Anne Dahl
  • Investor
  • Oakland, CA
Posted Sep 11 2015, 10:25

Hi All,

We have a SFR that we are going back and forth with the buyer on in the Sierra Foothills of CA. Turns out it's in a wooded area, too far from a hydrant and over 5 miles from a fire station. The one quote I've been able to get for insurance is for $2600 - over 3x's expected for a 3/2 @ $175K.

Anyone have experience with this dilemma that can offer advice or suggest where to get affordable insurance?  I'm having trouble even getting calls back.  Lots of fires currently burning close by!

The other concern would be resale, as I am always thinking exit plan.  My gut says just walk and find a house down the hill out of the woods.  The cash I would save would get me another $20k in house, which is where the market is for a similar house down out of the woods.    Rents aren't much higher to offset the entire cost, however, the money we would be paying out of pocket would at least go towards the mortgage instead of into the wind. 

Thanks

Anne

PS:  This will be my first rental property and I have chosen to start close to home for our first, even though it means we don't cash flow for a while.  Plan to venture out of state once I feel more comfortable doing so.  

Loading replies...