Home Owners Insurance from "no-name" insurance companies

8 Replies

Hi everyone,

I have a policy with State Farm on homeowners for one of my rentals, the price is $1400 and most other companies ive quoted (all state, travelers) are around 1200 (so basically the same).

I also got a quote from a company called Centauri Specialty Insurance for the same coverage that I have now and its only $800 a year. Obviously this would greatly impact my monthly cash flow. What is everyone's opinion on no name insurance companies such as Centaui Insurance?

Originally posted by @Account Closed :

Matt,

Where did you come up with Centaui Insurance being a no-name insurance company? They have been around for a long time.

Hi John,

I've never heard of them before and didn't see much on Google. Have you used them before?

Promotion
RentRedi
Smart Tech For The Smart Landlord
The Smart Way To Manage Your Rentals
Enjoy growing your portfolio without paying more for it. Unlimited units & easy-to-use apps.
Get Unlimited Units

If you ever want to know the "health" (so to speak) of an insurance carrier, you can always check the A.M. Best Rating. It's a wealth of knowledge and information. You have to have an account with them, but it's free. Additionally, there are some mortgage/finance companies that will require an insurance carrier have at least a certain rating, example, B+/A- or better in order to lend the money for the loan - just an FYI.

Additionally, the general population may only be aware of the most "popular" insurance companies (see: commercials), like, Allstate, State Farm, Nationwide, etc; however, there is a multitude of insurance companies out there; especially for rental types of policies and investment properties, because the Allstate's, State Farms, etc are much more risk adverse and prefer NOT to insure certain types of risks. I won't go into all the Surplus Lines type of carriers, but there are a plethora of them that are NOT commonly known by the general public, but are excellent A+/A++ rated insurance companies that have been around for years.

There are many carriers that you have not heard of that are great, there are tons of carriers with a better rating than the ones you seen on TV.

I'd stay away from anyone that is not rated my AM Best. Any large storm will wipe them out, demo-tech rating is a joke.

@Chanté Owens Thanks for telling me about AM best. I was looking for something like this.

@Ryan Turner   I looked up Centauri Specialty on AM best and they are not rated. Therefore, its best to stay away from them? What do you mean by demo-tech?

Can anyone suggest good homeowners ins companies who are known for lower premiums?

Demotech is basically the company you go to if AM Best will not give you a good rating.

Being right on the water like you are, you are not going to have many options. If looking to save money that may be the only way.  Find a Independent Agent in your area they a couple options for you.

Originally posted by @Matt F. :

Hi everyone,

I have a policy with State Farm on homeowners for one of my rentals, the price is $1400 and most other companies ive quoted (all state, travelers) are around 1200 (so basically the same).

I also got a quote from a company called Centauri Specialty Insurance for the same coverage that I have now and its only $800 a year. Obviously this would greatly impact my monthly cash flow. What is everyone's opinion on no name insurance companies such as Centaui Insurance?

Matt, I switched from a name insurance company (Nationwide) to a "no-name" insurance company 18 months ago.  Basically, I'm spending half what I spent before the switch.  I haven't filed a claim, either before of after the switch, so I couldn't tell you anything about how each company handles claims.  However, I can tell you I am ECSTATIC about the savings.

My process went like this.  After feeling like I was paying too much for too long, I finally went to an independent insurance agent's office that worked with multiple companies, instead of a house office that offered insurance only from one company.  Before I went, I typed all my information on a sheet of paper: name, phone number, personal address, address of investment properties, and automobiles owned. 

I visited two or three offices and dropped off that list, and waited for call backs.  I chose one from what I heard on the call backs, went in for a visit, and in a day or two I switched everything over to the new office.  I'm saving money on everything, primary home, investment properties, and auto insurance, but the biggest savings came from the investment properties.

I couldn't be happier with the change.  And across the board, I have better coverage than before.  Better coverage for lower prices?  Who woulda thunk it!

Good luck,

Randy