• Saint Petersburg, FL
Votes |
Seller Did a Bad Job Fixing a Leaky Roof

Faisal Farnas
  • Investor
  • Saint Petersburg, FL
Posted Jul 27 2016, 10:36

Hello Fellow BP'ers,

I am looking for some advice on a situation I am having with a single family house I recently purchased.

Here is the sequence of events:

1- Got an inspection on the house. The inspection report mentioned some ceiling water damage inside the laundry room due to a leak in the roof above. The report also says the leak is no longer active, but recommended asking the seller about it.

2- I added an addendum to the contract asking the seller to fix any leaks in the roof and repair some popping nails.

3 - The seller had somebody patch the roof with tar over the area that had water damage.

4- When that was done,  I got my 4-point inspection report saying that the roof had no problems. This was needed to get insurance.

5- I close on the house end of June and I purchase insurance with a $1000 deductible. 

6- Fast forward two weeks and a couple of rain storms later, and my contractors working inside the house are telling me that I have a leak in the roof and water is seeping inside the house into the laundry room.

7- I get an estimate on properly fixing the roof and it comes out to $1275. The roofer also tells me that the patch job done by the seller is laughable.

What are my options? Can I go back after the seller or the inspection company? Should I file an insurance claim? 

What would you do if you were in my situation?

Thanks,

Faisal

Loading replies...