Skip to content
Insurance

User Stats

Votes
Michael Kirstein
  • Venice, CA
Votes |
short term insurance for house in Indiana?

Michael Kirstein
  • Venice, CA
Posted Feb 14 2017, 11:54

Hi all - I just bought a house outside Indianapolis, and paid 1 year's insurance up front - but since the rehab took longer than expected, the insurance company is now dropping the insurance. I basically need a few weeks of insurance for the vacant property while my property manager finds a tenant. Any ideas for a reasonably priced solution?

User Stats

Votes
Larry Fried
  • Investor/RE Broker
  • Eugene, OR
Votes |
  • Investor/RE Broker
  • Eugene, OR
Replied Feb 14 2017, 15:55

REI Guard does insure vacant houses, billed monthly.

User Stats

Votes
John Mocker#1 Insurance Contributor
  • Insurance Agent
  • Norwalk, CT
Votes |
  • Insurance Agent
  • Norwalk, CT
Replied Feb 14 2017, 16:42

Michael,

We have several Markets for the Vacant Dweiling and I suspect that an agent out there can also get multiple companies to quote.   What you have to watch for is "What is the Minimum Earned Premium".   Ideally you want no minimum premium so you get the most refund.  That is rare.   The most common is 25% of an Annual policy (or equivilant in shorter terms).  I have seen some companies that have very good rates but the policy is Fully Earned (means no refund no matter when you cancel it). 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jason Bott
Pro Member
#2 Insurance Contributor
  • Insurance Agent
  • Nationwide
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Insurance Contributor
  • Insurance Agent
  • Nationwide
Replied Feb 15 2017, 10:27

@Michael Kirstein there are several policies out there that can convert from a vacant building to an occupied one.  Billing is month to month, so not 90 day minimum earned.

I'll PM you the info.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Kirstein
  • Venice, CA
Votes |
  • Venice, CA
Replied Feb 15 2017, 11:18

thank you all, much appreciated!

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Denver, CO
Replied Feb 15 2017, 12:02

@Michael Kirstein I have two south of yours. I used American Modern during the rehab period (it was sold through an Allstate agent). They had automatic monthly billing to a credit card. I ended up switching to REI guard after rehab - only because of the level of coverage.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Kirstein
  • Venice, CA
Votes |
  • Venice, CA
Replied Feb 16 2017, 20:27

thanks Ed - it appears that state farm is the cheapest option for me for regular insurance, also compared to REI guard.