Insurance for a 1959 duplex in Broward Co, Florida

Insurance for a 1959 duplex in Broward Co, Florida

Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2015 · 20 posts · 9 votes
Advice please.... I bought a duplex that needed a new flat roof (it was fine but was 18 years old), electrical panel changeout, and hurricane protection. I was able to get a homeowners policy for $5500 for a year with the requirement that I change out the panels. I did that, and changed the flat roof and added hurricane protection. Told the insurance company then requoted me and now my rate is $5000 for a year. My broker shopped for other insurance companies and found one other who quoted similar coverage for $4500. Mind you - in recent years I've bought other similar rental properties in similar condition/locations and did the upgrades....and my annual insurance rate for those (similar coverage) is more like $2500 per year. My insurance broker tells me that insurance markets have tightened a lot very recently. So I went to another insurance broker....couldn't even get a quote from him because he said the other roof on the duplex (a pitched shingle roof) was 18 years old and they only write policies for houses with a shingle roof less than 15 years old! My roof inspection indicated the pitched shingle roof has 10+years of life left. Advice?
0Reply
16 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Greg ScottPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · SE Michigan · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    9y

    Keep shopping.

    I use an insurer that provides insurance nationally.  I like them because I have properties in several states so they are one-stop shopping.  I find their price structure is often very different from local agent quotes.   They may have a better rate for you.   Google National Real Estate Insurance Group.

  • Jeff HubertPro Member
    Realtor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2013 · 101 posts · 30 votes
    9y

    ...get another quote. I own a couple of duplex with flat roofs.  They were the best when I went insurance shopping! Very good rates!

    Bars Insurance - Kathrine Sepulveda

    Look up the number as BP prohibits us from putting telephone numbers here 

    There in Miami on Brickell Ave....

    Good luck!

    Tell them Jeff Hubert referred you!

  • Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2015 · 20 posts · 9 votes
    9y
    Thanks to you both! I will followup as suggested. If anyone else has a suggestion for a broker to try (or a comment on the type of rates I'm experiencing), I'd greatly appreciate it.
  • Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2017 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    Hi, Jim,

    Try David Feather, from GreatFlorida Insurance of Coral Springs. Send a private message if you cannot find his phone number. David is very professional and has helped me find insurance for a few properties.

    Best regards,

    Rodrigo.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.