Shawn Adams
  • Victor, ID
Votes |
Airbnb insurance policy questions

Shawn Adams
  • Victor, ID
Posted Nov 8 2017, 09:02

Hi all,

I am a new investor, running a successful Airbnb. I am using the model of renting a property and running the Airbnb out of that, and I have the owner's full support and permission to do so (he is a dear family friend). 

My question is about insurance. Right now the owner of the home has a regular old homeowners insurance policy on the house. I have heard that if something were to happen, the fact that it is being used as a short-term rental can nullify the coverage. I am familiar with an insurance company called "Proper Insurance" which is specifically designed for properties being used as vacation/short term rentals. For anybody else out there using this model of renting a property to then run an Airbnb out of it, my question is this: does the owner of the home have a traditional insurance policy and I would then get the Proper Insurance policy on top of that as a secondary policy? Does the home owner just have the Proper Insurance policy and nothing else? Should I, as a tenant, get a general liability policy? 

Any and all guidance/ideas would be greatly appreciated. This model is working well for us, and I would like to pursue other property owners, but want to get my ducks in a row before I do.

THANKS!

Shawn

Loading replies...