Skip to content
Insurance

User Stats

Votes
David C.
  • New York City, NY
Votes |
Wrap up insurance for first build when selling?

David C.
  • New York City, NY
Posted Sep 16 2018, 17:21

I am going to finish building my first project, a large log home, in about a month. I built the home as an owner-builder and did the build in my own name, not an LLC. I don't have a contractor license as none was required. If I sell the house when finished (list with RE agent and put on the market), and never build another house again, do I need to buy some type of wrap-up insurance? I want to make sure I am protected from 1 - any lawsuits stemming from future issues with the structure, and 2 - having to pay for repairs for anything that goes wrong with anything at all from chinking to stain to insulation to everything. I am confident in the build, and it is extremely well-built, but I am paranoid, and log homes do tend to require additional maintenance further down the line. I want to be done with this project and never have to think about it again. Can I sell the property "as is" and put a clause in the contract indemnifying me from any future problems? Buyer can inspect all they want before purchase. Or, do I need to buy some sort of wrap up insurance? I know there are warranty products available... but I really want to make sure I am protected from all types of liability as well, since builders typically have insurance for this, and I wont, I feel very exposed. I hired individual workers in addition to contractors, so many of the workers don't have insurance (I have workers comp tho). Thanks.

Loading replies...