Getting insurance in difficult locations

4 Replies

My stepdad is living in Greenville, CA and he has had a very hard time keeping insurance due to the remote nature and fire danger of his investment property. He has used Lloyd's of London and was eventually canceled. I have been trying to brainstorm ways to get coverage that would let him AIRBNB the place. 4 homes on about 5 acres of very maintained forest.

Ideas?

Gabriel,

You may want to check for an independent Agent who writes commercial policies as well as Personal in CA.  They may have some options.  Jason Bott answers a lot of questions on the forums.  He may be a good one to contact

Originally posted by @Gabriel F. :

My stepdad is living in Greenville, CA and he has had a very hard time keeping insurance due to the remote nature and fire danger of his investment property. He has used Lloyd's of London and was eventually canceled. I have been trying to brainstorm ways to get coverage that would let him AIRBNB the place. 4 homes on about 5 acres of very maintained forest

Thanks John.

Gabriel, every insurance carrier is going to have an issue with the remote properties in CA.  No one is stating they want to write those locations right now.

I would try Proper Insurance.  They specialize in Short Term Rentals and may be able to handle. 

Good luck

It's a very tight insurance market right now in wildfire vulnerable areas. Add to that 4 dwellings on one lot with STR exposure and he's most likely limited to CA Fair Plan with a difference in condition (DIC) wrap policy. Surplus lines carriers aren't even touching these areas right now unfortunately. Best bet is to have him contact a larger independent agency in the area, who should be able to help. InterWest in Chico is a good one. Best of luck!

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here