New Umbrella and Liability Insurance for 7 "1-3 unit" properties

New Umbrella and Liability Insurance for 7 "1-3 unit" properties

los angeles · Member since 2012 · 9 posts · 1 vote

Hi we have a portfolio of 4 Single Fam Houses, 2 Duplexes & 1 Triplex (7 total properties) in the Los Angeles area. The single family houses have FMVs from 250K to 750K; duplexes between 300K-380K, and triplex of about 500K

None are under an LLC.

We wanted to get an umbrella policy and liability insurance for them all.

Does anyone have any idea where to look? What prices or policies do you recommend?

Should I just go to "State Farm" or other big box insurance agencies or to smaller ones? Would it make sense to put them in separate LLCs? (LLCs are $800 each in California)

Thanks so much!

0Reply
23 views

Most Popular Reply

Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
14y

I second going to a good agent who knows the scene. You've likely already got liability insurance on them at the same dollar amount as your limit of insurance for replacing the building but the umbrella adds a nice million or whatever per incident to make sure you have enough "lawyer go away" coverage.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · San Ramon, CA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 569 votes
    14y

    I got a commercial policy through Nationwide. I didn't really shop around as they were SOOOO much cheaper than the individual policies (like 35% of the cost).

    I wish I could give you more info, but I'm not sure I understand it all. I'm sure it's all set up so the insurance company wins and I lose in a serious situation but that's life!

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    14y

    I suggest you start with whoever carries your insurance on your home and car.

  • Investor · El Dorado Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    14y

    In CA... It is almost impossible to beat Mercury for that type of risk. It has to be written through their commercial side which most agents don't have access to. I can provide a quote for you or I can direct you to a agent in your area with access to Mercury Commercial.

  • los angeles · Member since 2012 · 9 posts · 1 vote
    14y

    @Nathan Emmert how cheap was your policy?
    Anyone know what ballpark Umbrella Liability insurance costs and what to expect as far as coverage for rental houses and duplexes/triplexes?

    Joe Bertolino Yes thanks I would like that. How can we get in contact?

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    14y

    I second going to a good agent who knows the scene. You've likely already got liability insurance on them at the same dollar amount as your limit of insurance for replacing the building but the umbrella adds a nice million or whatever per incident to make sure you have enough "lawyer go away" coverage.

  • Investor · -, IL · Member since 2010 · 409 posts · 616 votes
    14y

    Go to an agent that can quote several different companies. I have a $1 million umbrella policy covering 5 houses and my vehicles that runs me $215 a year. This coverage is on top of the $500,000 liability that is already on each property.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Monsey, NY · Member since 2011 · 18 posts · 2 votes
    14y
    Originally posted by Fred S.:

    Anyone know what ballpark Umbrella Liability insurance costs and what to expect as far as coverage for rental houses and duplexes/triplexes?

    You can easily get a 5 mill umbrella for a minimum premium of $1,500 a year with a minimum surcharge for adding additional locations.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.