• Wantagh, NY
Votes |
How to set up an LLC

Kyle Nigro
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Wantagh, NY
Posted Jul 21 2020, 18:48

Hello everyone,

I just purchased my first rental property. I am currently working on getting a EIN and opening a business checking account for the property. Once I do that, I would like to transfer the property to an LLC. This is in St.Louis and don't know what laws pertain to this. I am from NY and many investors I spoke to said it was odd that an attorney was not doing this for me. If anyone could assist that would be great! Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Brian Hamel
  • Nashua, NH
Votes |
  • Nashua, NH
Replied Jul 21 2020, 18:51

@Kyle Nigro

I set up a LLC in NH. It was easy. Went on the state website and did a search for names that were available and bought one for $100. It's like getting a fishing license from what I can see.

User Stats

Votes
David M.
  • Morris County, NJ
Votes |
  • Morris County, NJ
Replied Jul 21 2020, 23:06

@Kyle Nigro

You need to form the entity first in thrbState before applying for an EIN. The LLC is a state entity so it technically should come first.

Why are doing a LLC? Asset protection? Do you know how to "operate" your LLC? You all set on how to transfer title of your property to the LLC? Do you have a mortgage? How you not going to co-mingle your funds? How are you going to protect your corporate veil?

Just my two cents. Forget the last part of you just want to have a LLC for piece of mind as I know that wasn't your question... Good luck.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Kyle Nigro
  • Wantagh, NY
Votes |
  • Wantagh, NY
Replied Jul 21 2020, 23:07

@David M. I'm still debating on doing an LLC since it is my first property. I was also looking into an umbrella insurance policy. Not sure what to do

User Stats

Votes
David M.
  • Morris County, NJ
Votes |
  • Morris County, NJ
Replied Jul 21 2020, 23:33

@Kyle Nigro

Well, message me with a contact number if you want to chat in person (not tonight) and I’ll give you my point of view if you think it will help