Martin Cervantes
  • Grand Rapids, MI
Votes |
Insurance for a home with a Fuse type panel

Martin Cervantes
  • Grand Rapids, MI
Posted Dec 21 2020, 11:00

Hello! 

I recently purchased a home in Michigan and it has a fuse type panel. I've called several insurance companies and no one wants to insure it due to the old style panel. I am planning on updating all the electrical as soon as I close, but I still need insurance in the meantime. Any advice on how to navigate this is much appreciated!

Martin

User Stats

Votes
Adam Zdunek
  • Insurance Agent
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
  • Insurance Agent
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Dec 21 2020, 11:53

Martin,

My best advice for you is to call a couple independent insurance agents in Michigan and explain to them the situation.  It's going to more than likely be a smaller company that will say yes and give you a date as to when you have to have the panel updated or might be a nonstandard company that will write it for a higher premium until you are able to update the box.  Good luck with the new purchase.

User Stats

Votes
John Mocker#1 Insurance Contributor
  • Insurance Agent
  • Norwalk, CT
Votes |
  • Insurance Agent
  • Norwalk, CT
Replied Dec 21 2020, 11:56

Martin,

Sometimes, if the agent discusses it with the underwriter, they may allow for the fuses for a limited time (ie week, 2 weeks).  It is not common, but if you can show a proposal from the electrician and a letter/email from them confirming the date the work is scheduled to be done that may help convince the Underwriter at the company.  

Baring that, keep calling.  You may have to take a quote from an excess market (lloyds, etc.) and then switch when the electrical work is done.  Be careful with the excess policies.  Many have a 25% minimum earned premium which means that you will pay approx. 3 months premium even if you cancel before that.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit
Property Manager
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Property Manager
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Dec 23 2020, 03:16

@Martin Cervantes find an agent that brokers with Michigan basic

User Stats

Votes
Martin Cervantes
  • Grand Rapids, MI
Votes |
  • Grand Rapids, MI
Replied Dec 27 2020, 11:40

Thank you all for your responses! I ended up calling an insurance broker who had a company that was willing to insure the house after providing a timeframe for the repairs. Appreciate your time and advice!