Flood insurance for rental

4 Replies

What will the landlord be responsible if the property is flooded?  The renter will have rental insurance, but I dont think that covers flood.  So, if the property is flooded, what consequences/responsibilities do the landlord have?

Renters insurance only causes their property and damage they cause. If the landlord doesn’t have the proper insurance they’ll will be paying out of pocket to repair it. If you mean a true “flood” you need flood insurance or you have no coverage. 

Yes, I mean true flood.  My question is if the house is flooded, assuming the tenant's properties' are damaged.  Since renter's insurance does not cover flood, would the owner be responsible paying for the contents?  

@Mark Ham If you’re asking if the landlord would be responsible for the tenant’s belongings if the home were to be damaged by flood, generally no. However, you really should have something in the lease that addresses this. For example, in my lease, I have a clause that reads (in part):

INSURANCE: Tenant’s or guest’s personal property and vehicles are not insured by Landlord, manager or, if applicable, HOA, against loss or damage due to fire, theft, vandalism, rain, water, criminal or negligent acts of others, or any other cause. Tenant is advised to carry Tenant’s own insurance (renter’s insurance) to protect Tenant from any such loss or damage.

The Tenant can purchase flood insurance for their belongings.  If you do not have the clause Kyle suggested in your lease it might be a good idea to send the tenant a letter something like this (your agent should be able to help with the wording):

  "I just reviewed with my agent, the property and flood insurance for the building.  My agent reminded me that my policies do not cover your belongings.  If you want coverage for your belongings you should have a Renters and  flood policy,  Also, my policies will not cover your additional expenses (hotel, meals, etc.) if you can not occupy this unit due to a loss."  Discuss it with you agent as most Renters policies will include those expenses for a covered loss."