First-Time Investor from Canada Exploring U.S. Real Estate – Seeking Guidance!

First-Time Investor from Canada Exploring U.S. Real Estate – Seeking Guidance!

New to Real Estate · Calgary, Alberta · Member since 2025 · 38 posts · 22 votes

Hey BiggerPockets Community,

I’m a first-time real estate investor based in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. After diving into the local market here, I’ve realized that the high entry costs make it pretty challenging for a beginner like myself to get started.

As I continued learning, I discovered that many U.S. markets offer significantly lower entry points and better cash flow opportunities — which is exciting, but also a bit overwhelming.

This will be my first investment ever, and also my first time investing out of country, so I’m looking for guidance from experienced investors who’ve either:

  • Started investing from abroad (especially Canadians investing in the U.S.)

  • Navigated out-of-state investing successfully

  • Have tips on beginner-friendly U.S. markets, team building, financing, or general do's/don'ts for someone in my position

I’d love to connect with anyone willing to share their journey, offer insights, or point me toward resources that helped them.

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to learning from this amazing community.

5Reply
44 views

Most Popular Reply

Kerlous TadresBusiness Member
Realtor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y

Welcome! As a Canadian investing in the U.S., start by picking one affordable, landlord-friendly market in Midwest cities like Indianapolis, Kansas City, or Cleveland, which are great for cash flow and have lower entry points. Build a solid local team (agent, property manager, lender, cross-border CPA), and set up the right structure (typically an LLC and ITIN). Financing may require 25–30% down via DSCR or private lenders. Keep it simple, focus on one market, and lean on your team for your first deal is the best teacher. Happy to share resources if you need them!

Kerlous Tadres | Reafco Real Estate540 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2025 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    1y

    We are also Canadians who have multiple us rentals.

    • New to Real Estate · Calgary, Alberta · Member since 2025 · 38 posts · 22 votes
      1y

      @Tim Welfing  Hey Tim! Thanks for replying I would love to connect and hear about your success 

  • Member since 2025 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    1y

    It's a lot easier as dual citizens.  My best advice is for tax purposes, form a US company so you can file taxes in the US and make a profit

    • New to Real Estate · Calgary, Alberta · Member since 2025 · 38 posts · 22 votes
      1y

      @Tim Welfing unfortunately I am not a dual citizen, but I have spoken with a cross border accountant that works with investor cross border unfortunately LLCs aren't recognized in the Canada which can cause double taxation, but I do plan on purchasing personally which doesn't cause double taxation. Just wondering Tim what were your biggest challenges investing in the US? 

  • Min ZhangBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Hey Steven, I suggest checking out Midwest for starters because it's affordable and offers good cash flow. I can also send you some lenders who can work with foreign nationals, as well as professionals who can help you set up your LLC. If you ever want to chat or brainstorm strategies, feel free to connect!

    • New to Real Estate · Calgary, Alberta · Member since 2025 · 38 posts · 22 votes
      1y

      @Min Zhang  Thanks for the insight Zhang! 

    • Member since 2025 · 5 posts · 2 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Min Zhang:

      Hey Steven, I suggest checking out Midwest for starters because it's affordable and offers good cash flow. I can also send you some lenders who can work with foreign nationals, as well as professionals who can help you set up your LLC. If you ever want to chat or brainstorm strategies, feel free to connect!

      Hello. Highly appreciate if you can send me information as well.
  • Kerlous TadresBusiness Member
    Realtor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Welcome! As a Canadian investing in the U.S., start by picking one affordable, landlord-friendly market in Midwest cities like Indianapolis, Kansas City, or Cleveland, which are great for cash flow and have lower entry points. Build a solid local team (agent, property manager, lender, cross-border CPA), and set up the right structure (typically an LLC and ITIN). Financing may require 25–30% down via DSCR or private lenders. Keep it simple, focus on one market, and lean on your team for your first deal is the best teacher. Happy to share resources if you need them!

    Kerlous Tadres | Reafco Real Estate540 Reviews
    • New to Real Estate · Calgary, Alberta · Member since 2025 · 38 posts · 22 votes
      1y

      @Kerlous Tadres yea most definitely building a strong team is crucial for where I'm currently stuck at would love to hear more! 

  • Michael SmytheBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2023 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    @Steven Le we've got you covered!

    We have 8-9 Canadian clients investing in Metro Detroit area.

    Have agents, contractors, tax attorney, CPA, etc.

    Logical Property Management4.9453 Reviews
  • Ryan RomingerBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 340 posts · 144 votes
    1y

    Welcome to the journey! It's a big step, but definitely doable with the right groundwork. One thing I'd emphasize is building a strong local team before pulling the trigger on a property. That means a trustworthy property manager, a reliable contractor (or two), and ideally someone who knows the market on a street-by-street level—many U.S. cities, including Indy, can vary widely block to block. Also, make sure you fully understand the tax implications and legal structure for Canadians investing in the U.S.—that part can get tricky without the right guidance.

    Intrigue Real Estate & Property Management4.6285 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.