Be very careful of turnkey providers!

Be very careful of turnkey providers!

Johnathan TrimbleBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2020 · 19 posts · 59 votes

I now am dealing with my third listing in very rough zip codes in Kansas City that were purchased by beginner out of state investors. All three were purchased from rent to retirement. These properties were marketed to them as "B-" class areas. In reality these are D class areas. They are forced to used that companies lender (all three sold significantly above value and of course appraised where the company needed it to). All three investors dealt with subpar at best property management (referred by that company) that placed tenants that destroyed their properties not once, but two or three times in some cases. Now they are trying to sell these properties, and at a loss.

For instance my listing at 2922 Bales Ave was sold almost 3 full years ago at $175k. Today I cannot move the listing (after full make ready) for $140k after over 6 months. Prices have continued to increase here in Kansas City. Meaning if that property was truly worth $175k, then it should be selling above $190k with how our market has appreciated. Now I am not saying all these turnkey providers are bad, but PLEASE do your homework when dealing with companies like this, on the company, AND the area. You are better off working with an experienced agent in the target market you are looking at that isn't also trying to make a quick sale (plenty of bad agents out there too).

Figured I should make a PSA on this because I hate seeing people jump in Real Estate, get taken advantage of, lose money, and then get out of it entirely. It is not a get rich quick scheme. I see a lot of investors lose, but the ones that do proper diligence can really set their families up for success. Rant over

32Reply
381 views

Most Popular Reply

Don KonipolBusiness Member
Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
1y

Thought it might be interesting to look at the subject company’s landing page on their website:

Access The Hottest Turnkey Rental Properties You Can Buy Today – $40K Below Market Value With As Little As 5% Down!

Exclusive properties in A-Class markets delivering 20% ROI fully managed and ready for you!

SHOW ME THE DEALS →

2

HERE'S WHAT YOU'LL GET ACCESS TO

  • Checkmark

    Properties priced $40,000 below market value.

  • Checkmark

    Positive cash flow of $500+ per month from day one.

  • Checkmark

    Fully managed with 15%-20% annual returns.

  • Checkmark

    Access exclusive inventory not available anywhere else.


  • Checkmark Start investing with as little as 5% Down.

And SO MUCH MORE!

Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
See this reply in the discussion

35 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Melissa JusticeBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2024 · 518 posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    @Johnathan Trimble,

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts, but we need to set the record straight for the sake of transparency, clarity, and all the investors reading this.

    First and foremost:
    Rent To Retirement does not “force” anyone to use a specific lender. We don’t even have lenders. We simply recommend investor-friendly ones that many of our clients have had success with due to competitive rates, terms, and familiarity with investment loans. All buyers are 100% free to use any lender of their choosing. That’s standard in real estate, and we emphasize this in every conversation.

    Due diligence is, and always will be, the responsibility of every single investor, whether you're purchasing turnkey or buying a fixer-upper on your own. We provide resources, comps, and transparency, but ultimately, it’s the buyer’s responsibility to verify neighborhoods, vet property managers, and evaluate long-term goals.

    As for property management- let’s be honest: no one can predict tenant behavior. Suggesting we or any provider could somehow control whether tenants will damage a property is completely unreasonable. If there were a perfect system to guarantee ideal tenants, the entire industry would look different. Turnkey doesn’t mean risk-free- and it never has. We’ve always made that clear.

    On the topic of appraisals-your comment implies something improper or even illegal was done. You should know better. Appraisers must be licensed, independent, and objective. Since the 2007–2008 crash, lending laws have been overhauled to enforce more protections and guardrails against inflated valuations. Are you really suggesting appraisers are conspiring to overvalue homes on our behalf? That’s a bold claim and one that would involve licensed professionals violating federal lending laws.

    You reference a specific listing that’s been sitting on the market for months, suggesting its original sale price was inflated. You’re overlooking countless variables that affect value- currrent condition of home, city appreciation, county appreciation, state appreciation, economic factors, local competition, and yes, even listing strategy. What exactly does your strategy look like for reselling these properties? Market appreciation is not a blanket guarantee that any property will sell for more. Again: nothing in investing is guaranteed.

    Lastly, based on your profile, it's clear you help investors yourself. So let’s be real-is this review an objective PSA or a thinly veiled sales pitch? If it’s the latter, that’s disappointing and disingenuous. If a past client of ours is having a legitimate issue, they can always reach out to us directly and we’ll work to address the situation. But we won't apologize for not being able to eliminate all risk, that’s the nature of investing.

    We don’t claim to be perfect, but we do operate with integrity and we’re proud of the hundreds of real, positive reviews we’ve received from clients who’ve built successful portfolios through our team. That speaks louder than anonymous rants.

    Anybody reading this that has any specific questions can always reach out to myself or our team. 

    Thank you!

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    1y

    We see similar issues in the City of Detroit (not so much the suburbs).

    On the other hand, rarely hear bad things about Rent to Retirement.

  • Johnathan TrimbleBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2020 · 19 posts · 59 votes
    1y

    I have reviewed what is sent to clients on behalf of your company in all three scenarios, they are inflated and exaggerated, mainly the area classifications, all three were in the very worst zip codes in my city, all of them stating B- or better areas, they were D class areas. Expenses that were definitely not factored in or accounted for when it comes to the "suggested return" that the property pricing is based on when it comes to running a property.

    I would be lying if I said knew exactly how your company worked start to finish, and am relying on what is being told to me by my clients and the information I have reviewed that was originally sent to them. I have heard of other turnkey providers with similar practices. This post is purely not to bash on "rent to retirement". it is a post for investors bringing awareness to do as much market research as possible and not rely on what is being given to them by a company trying to sell them something. Those investors themselves admitted to not doing their due diligence and trusting all information that was provided to them. I am an investor myself, even owning property in these zip codes. I see the prices that these houses were sold and it is frankly shocking. I hate seeing people lose and even most agents are quick to sell a property and not paint the full picture for a quick commission. I would hope somebody would do their research into me before using me as their agent. How you came to the conclusion that I am making a sales pitch is wild, not once do I mention myself or my services


    One of the properties that I actually sold with the property in disrepair specifically told me they wanted to use their own lender but was told they have to choose from your recommended lenders. Perhaps this is something that has changed as the property was purchased years ago. I would also like to add that I have handled 3 of these sales, but came across multiple others in similar situations that quite frankly could not afford to take the loss they were going to by selling at what the property would fetch on market.

    To even suggest a $35k loss (20% drop in price) in an appreciating market has anything to do to with listing strategy, is wild, regardless of any factor, and there is not justification behind it other than it being sold above market value originally. How the appraiser signed off on any of these that I have come across is beyond me. I am purely stating what I have seen multiple times, so that people do their homework. I am sure you have plenty of evidence of people that have had great success with your company, if not there is no way it would still be in business. I market to distressed off market sellers, so yes I come across the negative examples, not the positive ones. Again, no ill intent here, I am stating what I have seen. Also, those clients of mine understand that they should have educated themselves more as well.

    I would be happy to pull the market reports to show that prices have sustained in that area specifically, and have another property that I am selling after the make ready where I am not sure he will be able to get $200k or not when the property was purchased for $210k a few years ago, and would be happy to update how that sale goes. This is not some "anonymous rant" and am happy to back up my claims and even post the original forms from when these properties were sold if I can find them in my email. I debated even mentioning the name of your company, but figured I would as I had been sold a bag of good by a mastermind I joined back in the day, and wish more people had been posting on forums to show the negative experiences as well, and not only the positives when I was doing my research on them. 

    • Melissa JusticeBusiness Member
      Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2024 · 518 posts · 1k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Johnathan Trimble:

      I have reviewed what is sent to clients on behalf of your company in all three scenarios, they are inflated and exaggerated, mainly the area classifications, all three were in the very worst zip codes in my city, all of them stating B- or better areas, they were D class areas. Expenses that were definitely not factored in or accounted for when it comes to the "suggested return" that the property pricing is based on when it comes to running a property.

      I would be lying if I said knew exactly how your company worked start to finish, and am relying on what is being told to me by my clients and the information I have reviewed that was originally sent to them. I have heard of other turnkey providers with similar practices. This post is purely not to bash on "rent to retirement". it is a post for investors bringing awareness to do as much market research as possible and not rely on what is being given to them by a company trying to sell them something. Those investors themselves admitted to not doing their due diligence and trusting all information that was provided to them. I am an investor myself, even owning property in these zip codes. I see the prices that these houses were sold and it is frankly shocking. I hate seeing people lose and even most agents are quick to sell a property and not paint the full picture for a quick commission. I would hope somebody would do their research into me before using me as their agent. How you came to the conclusion that I am making a sales pitch is wild, not once do I mention myself or my services


      One of the properties that I actually sold with the property in disrepair specifically told me they wanted to use their own lender but was told they have to choose from your recommended lenders. Perhaps this is something that has changed as the property was purchased years ago. I would also like to add that I have handled 3 of these sales, but came across multiple others in similar situations that quite frankly could not afford to take the loss they were going to by selling at what the property would fetch on market.

      To even suggest a $35k loss (20% drop in price) in an appreciating market has anything to do to with listing strategy, is wild, regardless of any factor, and there is not justification behind it other than it being sold above market value originally. How the appraiser signed off on any of these that I have come across is beyond me. I am purely stating what I have seen multiple times, so that people do their homework. I am sure you have plenty of evidence of people that have had great success with your company, if not there is no way it would still be in business. I market to distressed off market sellers, so yes I come across the negative examples, not the positive ones. Again, no ill intent here, I am stating what I have seen. Also, those clients of mine understand that they should have educated themselves more as well.

      I would be happy to pull the market reports to show that prices have sustained in that area specifically, and have another property that I am selling after the make ready where I am not sure he will be able to get $200k or not when the property was purchased for $210k a few years ago, and would be happy to update how that sale goes. This is not some "anonymous rant" and am happy to back up my claims and even post the original forms from when these properties were sold if I can find them in my email. I debated even mentioning the name of your company, but figured I would as I had been sold a bag of good by a mastermind I joined back in the day, and wish more people had been posting on forums to show the negative experiences as well, and not only the positives when I was doing my research on them. 

      We appreciate any discussion that promotes investor education, but we need to correct a number of false assumptions and mischaracterizations you've made about our company and the investing process.

      1. Area Classifications and Fair Housing
      You claim our area classifications were “inflated” and that we labeled D-class areas as B-. Let’s be clear: there is no universal or regulated system for assigning class grades to neighborhoods. These are subjective assessments based on rental demand, surrounding infrastructure, investor activity, and historical performance-not just a zip code.

      Further, we do not have an agency relationship with clients. We are not acting as their licensed representative, and as such, we are not responsible for providing fiduciary guidance on neighborhood quality. In fact, as a licensed real estate agent yourself, you should be well aware that under Fair Housing laws and NAR guidelines, it is a direct violation to label neighborhoods in a way that could steer buyers- this includes using language around schools, crime, or area quality.

      That is precisely why we always emphasize that ALL buyers-new or seasoned-must perform their own due diligence. That’s not a convenience for us; it’s a legal and ethical necessity in real estate.

      2. Pro Formas and Return Estimates
      Our pro formas are presented as estimated Year 1 projections, clearly noted as such. These are based on average historical data for rent, property taxes, insurance, management fees, and vacancy-assuming buyers are utilizing any seller incentives or concessions available at the time of purchase.

      These are not guarantees. Like any investment, these estimates should be validated and adapted by each buyer based on their strategy, financing, and operating assumptions.

      3. Lender Choice and Financing
      Let’s address this plainly: we do not require clients to use any particular lender. We recommend investor-friendly lenders we trust based on performance and client feedback, but buyers are always free to use any lender they choose. If someone was misinformed years ago, we invite them to reach out-we’re happy to clarify and help.

      4. Appraisal Accuracy
      You state that properties appraised “exactly where the company needed them to.” This is not just inaccurate-it’s a serious insinuation.

      Appraisers are licensed, third-party professionals who operate independently. Under federal lending laws and post-2008 Dodd-Frank regulations, no party-including us, lenders, or sellers-has the ability to influence their valuations. If you are suggesting manipulation or fraud, you’re implying a federal offense. 

      5. Property Value Fluctuations and Resale
      You mention $30K–$35K losses in an “appreciating market.” That ignores many possible contributing factors: tenant turnover, deferred maintenance, management, rising interest rates, or simply short holding periods.

      Real estate investing is not a guaranteed appreciation play, especially for out-of-state investors who resell quickly after encountering tenant issues. We always advise clients that this is a long-term strategy focused on cash flow and equity building over time.

      6. Intentions and Conflicts of Interest
      You claim you’re not trying to pitch anything, yet you're simultaneously profiting from the resales of distressed homes, some of which your clients never intended to hold long term. While you may not mention your services explicitly, you are clearly involved in monetizing these situations, which introduces a potential conflict when critiquing the process that led them there.

      If this post is truly about helping investors, then full transparency goes both ways.

      7. Final Thought
      We’re not claiming every investment works out perfectly. That’s unrealistic in any asset class. But we work with thousands of buyers every year, and many of them return to work with us again because they understand this is a long-term strategy with inherent risks.

      If any client ever has an issue, we encourage them to reach out. We remain committed to investor education, transparency, and helping people build long-term wealth through real estate. That includes owning the hard truths-real estate isn’t easy, and it’s not risk-free. But we’ve helped many people succeed, and we’ll continue to stand behind our process.

      Thank you.
    • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
      Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Johnathan Trimble:

      I have reviewed what is sent to clients on behalf of your company in all three scenarios, they are inflated and exaggerated, mainly the area classifications, all three were in the very worst zip codes in my city, all of them stating B- or better areas, they were D class areas. Expenses that were definitely not factored in or accounted for when it comes to the "suggested return" that the property pricing is based on when it comes to running a property.

      I would be lying if I said knew exactly how your company worked start to finish, and am relying on what is being told to me by my clients and the information I have reviewed that was originally sent to them. I have heard of other turnkey providers with similar practices. This post is purely not to bash on "rent to retirement". it is a post for investors bringing awareness to do as much market research as possible and not rely on what is being given to them by a company trying to sell them something. Those investors themselves admitted to not doing their due diligence and trusting all information that was provided to them. I am an investor myself, even owning property in these zip codes. I see the prices that these houses were sold and it is frankly shocking. I hate seeing people lose and even most agents are quick to sell a property and not paint the full picture for a quick commission. I would hope somebody would do their research into me before using me as their agent. How you came to the conclusion that I am making a sales pitch is wild, not once do I mention myself or my services


      One of the properties that I actually sold with the property in disrepair specifically told me they wanted to use their own lender but was told they have to choose from your recommended lenders. Perhaps this is something that has changed as the property was purchased years ago. I would also like to add that I have handled 3 of these sales, but came across multiple others in similar situations that quite frankly could not afford to take the loss they were going to by selling at what the property would fetch on market.

      To even suggest a $35k loss (20% drop in price) in an appreciating market has anything to do to with listing strategy, is wild, regardless of any factor, and there is not justification behind it other than it being sold above market value originally. How the appraiser signed off on any of these that I have come across is beyond me. I am purely stating what I have seen multiple times, so that people do their homework. I am sure you have plenty of evidence of people that have had great success with your company, if not there is no way it would still be in business. I market to distressed off market sellers, so yes I come across the negative examples, not the positive ones. Again, no ill intent here, I am stating what I have seen. Also, those clients of mine understand that they should have educated themselves more as well.

      I would be happy to pull the market reports to show that prices have sustained in that area specifically, and have another property that I am selling after the make ready where I am not sure he will be able to get $200k or not when the property was purchased for $210k a few years ago, and would be happy to update how that sale goes. This is not some "anonymous rant" and am happy to back up my claims and even post the original forms from when these properties were sold if I can find them in my email. I debated even mentioning the name of your company, but figured I would as I had been sold a bag of good by a mastermind I joined back in the day, and wish more people had been posting on forums to show the negative experiences as well, and not only the positives when I was doing my research on them. 


      Not taking sides here.. But I ran into this valuation issue when I first started lending in detroit in 2002 for a turn key company makreting to socal buyers.. And as the acquisition and rehab lender I flew out there walk the properties and met with local appraisers.. its hard to value property when you can have a house that needs to be renovated turn key and it sells for 40k and the one next door got a full gut and it sells for 150k.. Took me a few years to understand this.  I lend in KC  and values are all over the map even in the same zip code.. 

      The bigger issue is tenants in EVERY SINGLE mid west market from Jackson MS Memphis Indy St. Lu KC  Chicago Detroit Toledo Cleveland I am active in all those markets.. The common denominator is 50% or of the population rents SFRs  were on the West coast maybe 10% of SFRs are rentals in most cities renters rent apartments.. So you take a city like KC and all the 50 to 100 year old homes.. And some of them are just money pits even after a rehab just what they are .. then you have the tenants and that is the wild card.. Teannts in these areas can be highly transient I mean they move every year or 2.  So you have a lot of turnover and turnover or as you call it Make ready has really risen from the days you could do it for 1k my experinced clients now report make readies more like 4k for each turnover.. so a lot of time folks simply dont put the right numbers in their proforma.. 

      And I dont care were it is or what it is But with sales costs  some vacancy a few make readies house not as nice as the original turnkey remodel.. if sellers sell within 2 to 4 years many times they will take a loss.. appreciation in these markets is there but the values are so low that 3% a year on a 150k house only equals one turnover make ready so you are going to lose money if you exit.  ONly way to really make profit in short term turnover deals is with heavy value add were you have 20 to 30k of real equity by doing all the work yourself.. which of course most beginner turn key buyers are ill equipped to do..  Real Estate rentals are LOOOONG game in almost all markets.  
  • Investor · Statewide, MO · Member since 2011 · 814 posts · 425 votes
    1y

    I don't really see this, in any way whatsoever, as a sales pitch. 

    I've seen some awful conduct by turnkey operators in Missouri as well. I've seen "deals" in other war zone like areas being hawked to out of state investors quite a bit. 

    A fool and their money are soon parted.

    Leasing homes in D / D- neighborhoods comes with a lot more risk than other neighborhoods. Leading newbs down the tracks of failure while selling a dream... may be legal, but it is wrong. Selling turds to people and then blaming them for not realizing it was poo is a terrible business model. 

    Based on my time here, I can think of one seemingly reputable turnkey operator, and they're well known here on BP (think Memphis). 

    And then there's everyone else hawking garbage deals to the fools. Not to say all turn key operators are bad, but I completely agree with @Johnathan Trimble. If anyone is looking at doing a turnkey deal, you'd best do 10x the diligence and talk to a bunch of people in the market you're entering. They'd know as soon as they heard the zip code the area is a no go. 

  • Jay HurstBusiness Member
    Lender · Dallas, TX · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    If you do not have the time or money to go see the house and the neighborhood in person, then do not buy it. 

    Hurst Real Estate, INC4.991 Reviews
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    1y

    I would jut point out that pricing in this zip code the last three years appears to be very volatile and has fluctuated even over past few months +/- 15-20% and since 2022 is basically pretty flat. We are a lender on a deal with a flipper who has claimed they are filing bankruptcy because the market has gotten so bad. 

    I do agree with original post that you need to do DD but also I look at housing like buying a car - if you buy one and go to sell it within the first 1-3 years expect to lose $ on the deal - many don't believe this because they were in what I call a fairy tale economy but when housing goes back to its 1-2% appreciation and you pay 1-2% to buy and 6-8% to sell a home you can see the numbers in better light 

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Zach LemasterBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    @Johnathan Trimble

    I see you have made only a few posts here on BP and are fairly new to the industry.  I hope this post drives business to you if that is your intent.

    You are completely mistaken about much of what you have stated here.

    RTR does not sell any properties, so no, anyone you are referencing did not buy any properties from RTR.  You could have easily seen this looking at public records or reviewing purchase agreements.

    RTR is a national online education company and marketplace for properties.  Yes, we have many sellers and builders throughout the country that sell their properties through our marketplace, including national builders like DR Horton, Century, Lennar, Dr Horton, LGI, Toll Brothers, etc.  As with any property purchased, it is always the responsibility of the buyer to conduct proper due diligence.  Buyers do need to take responsibility for any investment they make (whether that is physical homes, stocks, REITs, notes, etc.).  

    Any numbers on our website come directly from the builders/sellers of properties.  And no, no person is required to use any lender whatsoever.  All lenders require a 3rd party appraisal before purchasing the property.

    Also, I will tell you that anytime someone reaches out with issues, we always stay involved to assist them and often even contribute financially in cases where appropriate (and when people are professional in their demeanor).  You will see hundreds of reviews on BP showcasing that, even when someone vents online about having a bad experience first.  When we continually hear about issues from any particular builder, rehabber or seller, we do not allow them to continue to showcase properties on our website.

    Melissa did a good job addressing other points.

    RTR has been around the BP site for over a decade and has thousands of positive reviews & comments.  We've help many people reach their goals.  I generally ignore a lot of these types of posts, but I thought it would be good to add some clarity for future audience.

  • Don KonipolBusiness Member
    Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    1y

    Thought it might be interesting to look at the subject company’s landing page on their website:

    Access The Hottest Turnkey Rental Properties You Can Buy Today – $40K Below Market Value With As Little As 5% Down!

    Exclusive properties in A-Class markets delivering 20% ROI fully managed and ready for you!

    SHOW ME THE DEALS →

    2

    HERE'S WHAT YOU'LL GET ACCESS TO

    • Checkmark

      Properties priced $40,000 below market value.

    • Checkmark

      Positive cash flow of $500+ per month from day one.

    • Checkmark

      Fully managed with 15%-20% annual returns.

    • Checkmark

      Access exclusive inventory not available anywhere else.


    • Checkmark Start investing with as little as 5% Down.

    And SO MUCH MORE!

    Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
  • Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    1y

    This ZIP code used to be a 50k neighborhood until recently. Every time you see homes sell way below replacement cost (as per your insurance policy, prob 340k or so in this case) you basically have negative land value, because you are buying land+structure.

    The issue is that everyone who will qualify for a mortgage will usually get approved for at least 250k and most buyers will move to the best neighborhood they can afford. That's why it is next to impossible to sell to anyone other than an investor. Certain areas in Milwaukee follow the same dynamic, so I am very familiar (and there is a reason why we only invest above median). 

    BTW:

    The correct definition of A,B,C,D neighborhoods is that you look at the median sales price, that is the deciding line between B and C. Then you divide the upper and lower half again in the middle. That gives you the dividing line between A and B, as well as C and D.

    The median for Kansas City is 260,000.

    - over 260k is B (or A)
    - under 260k down to 130k is C
    - under 130k is D

    If I had a dollar for every time someone tells me their properties are in a B minus and they are really in a class D...

    I don't see an issue with investing with a turnkey company, it's really a convenience service for the lack of time, knowledge and energy an investor does not have. But you have to be clear that they are a for-profit organization and you'll have to give them a piece of the pie. Often there is not enough meat on the bone for two, so they make the pie a little bigger by pushing the price up. That's just math. There is a reason why you have to be an accredited investor for certain things. 

    As the old saying goes: a fool and their money will soon be parted.

  • Zach LemasterBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    @Don Konipol those specific deals that are offered with equity are specifically from national home builders like DR Horton, LGI, Lennar, etc. that offer wholesale pricing to RTR like institutional buyers would get access to.  We work with their institutional division, not their retail devision.  Those are specific to newly constructed homes that are in A & B class neighborhoods with reputable builders.  Because the RTR community buys significant volumes of homes from these national builders each year, our community receives preferential pricing that retail buyer does not.  These are called "buyer incentives" and are generally anywhere between 6% to 14% on newly built homes.  For example, on a $300K newly built home, that could be anywhere from $18K to $42K of price reduction.  However the buyer uses their incentive however they choose, which could be price reduction, cash back as mngt credit, paying points down with their lender, etc.  It's up to them, but that is real equity available as these builders are selling that same home to retail buyers at $300K.

    Those offers are real, but only for specific properties from these builders.  What you are posting is a specific link relative to a very specific offer (as you mentioned it's a landing page).  These are new construction assets, not like what is being referenced here in this thread of older homes.  Every week our community purchases a significant amount of these properties because of these attractive incentives.  I do think as the market shifts back to more of a seller's market, we will start to see these incentives become less attractive.

    • Don KonipolBusiness Member
      Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Zach Lemaster:

      @Don Konipol those specific deals that are offered with equity are specifically from national home builders like DR Horton, LGI, Lennar, etc. that offer wholesale pricing to RTR like institutional buyers would get access to.  We work with their institutional division, not their retail devision.  Those are specific to newly constructed homes that are in A & B class neighborhoods with reputable builders.  Because the RTR community buys significant volumes of homes from these national builders each year, our community receives preferential pricing that retail buyer does not.  These are called "buyer incentives" and are generally anywhere between 6% to 14% on newly built homes.  For example, on a $300K newly built home, that could be anywhere from $18K to $42K of price reduction.  However the buyer uses their incentive however they choose, which could be price reduction, cash back as mngt credit, paying points down with their lender, etc.  It's up to them, but that is real equity available as these builders are selling that same home to retail buyers at $300K.

      Those offers are real, but only for specific properties from these builders.  What you are posting is a specific link relative to a very specific offer (as you mentioned it's a landing page).  These are new construction assets, not like what is being referenced here in this thread of older homes.  Every week our community purchases a significant amount of these properties because of these attractive incentives.  I do think as the market shifts back to more of a seller's market, we will start to see these incentives become less attractive.

      Thank you for the explanation.  I “Googled” your company, and that was where the first link took me.  I recognized that as a landing page.  Here is the link to your home page

      https://www.renttoretirement.com/

      which has a lot different “feel” 
      Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
  • Zach LemasterBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    @Don Konipol We always appreciate your input as you are one of the most well respected voices here on BP, and have decades of experience.  I've personally learned a lot from you over the years.  I just wanted to add some additional context to the community.  ; )

    • Don KonipolBusiness Member
      Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Zach Lemaster:

      @Don Konipol We always appreciate your input as you are one of the most well respected voices here on BP, and have decades of experience.  I've personally learned a lot from you over the years.  I just wanted to add some additional context to the community.  ; )


       Thanks Zach


      it occurred to me how different “advertising” is between regular “selling type” advertising and what we have to do in our Reg D offerings.  We have to say something like “ while we are attempting to make a profit this investment is high risk, with little likelihood of success, and you’ll probably suffer 100% loss as the economy will probably tank, you won’t be able to sell your investment, your spouse will probably divorce you, your kids won’t talk to you, you’ll lose your job, and you may end up in bankruptcy.  How many units would you like? 

      Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
    • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
      Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Don Konipol:
      Quote from @Zach Lemaster:

      @Don Konipol We always appreciate your input as you are one of the most well respected voices here on BP, and have decades of experience.  I've personally learned a lot from you over the years.  I just wanted to add some additional context to the community.  ; )


       Thanks Zach


      it occurred to me how different “advertising” is between regular “selling type” advertising and what we have to do in our Reg D offerings.  We have to say something like “ while we are attempting to make a profit this investment is high risk, with little likelihood of success, and you’ll probably suffer 100% loss as the economy will probably tank, you won’t be able to sell your investment, your spouse will probably divorce you, your kids won’t talk to you, you’ll lose your job, and you may end up in bankruptcy.  How many units would you like? 


      LOL I call those disclosures  50 ways to lose your lover or in a RE context 50 ways to lose your money !!
  • Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Can we make this thread a sticky so that anyone who wants to "research" out-of-state investing comes across it. Novice, and even most experienced, investors, have no business investing out of state, or even out of immediate locality, for that matter.

    • Member since 2018 · 14 posts · 3 votes
      1y

      @John Clark I held your sentiment for over 25 years. In fact, I only bought properties that takes me no more than 20 minutes to get to them from my house, in case the tenant didn't know how to shut off the water main and any other trouble calls that required immediate response. I did it all. But now, it's no longer possible to find positive cash flow properties in my area (Los Angeles). First, I difercified my portfolio in other types of securities. But, I just want to invest in RE. So I have to take a calculated risk and go out of state. BP has been great resource, but like with any other type of forums, there are plenty of shills here. And they are quite good. But, back to your point, "never to invest outside of your locale" may be an outdated thinking, which I also held for decades. For me was a full proof strategy, but times have changed and we have remote access to a lot more than was not available 20 years ago. 

    • Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Peter Z.:

      @John Clark I held your sentiment for over 25 years. In fact, I only bought properties that takes me no more than 20 minutes to get to them from my house, in case the tenant didn't know how to shut off the water main and any other trouble calls that required immediate response. I did it all. But now, it's no longer possible to find positive cash flow properties in my area (Los Angeles). First, I difercified my portfolio in other types of securities. But, I just want to invest in RE. So I have to take a calculated risk and go out of state. BP has been great resource, but like with any other type of forums, there are plenty of shills here. And they are quite good. But, back to your point, "never to invest outside of your locale" may be an outdated thinking, which I also held for decades. For me was a full proof strategy, but times have changed and we have remote access to a lot more than was not available 20 years ago. 

      You noticed that you held the opinion for 25 years. That means you are not a novice. Huge difference between you and the vast majority of novices seeking OOS investment and getting jumped on by commission seeking shills
  • Investor · Fort Washington, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    This will always be the case no matter what because there will always be unserious people who think this is easy or get rich quick in nature. When I got my first multi, I knew what it was because I went to see it multiple times. It was a mid to lower Class C. Downtown Hagerstown. From the wholesaler, he said his wife owned the property management side. Little did I know they were incompetent in nature. Most PMs seem incompetent to me, but they took the cake. I was sort of a newbie then who trusted his network and referrals. I've learned. However, because I saw it, I was involved and can handle any class I fought through it. Now, people watch a tik tok and declare themselves investors or STR operators over night. They come on here asking is it necessary to see the property. Not only are they a newbie who doesn't know a damn thing about the community, they won't even come to visit their own asset. They depend on others doing stuff and believe their one job is setting up the bank account for the check. I dont see this changing any time soon.

    • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
      Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Mark Cruse:

      This will always be the case no matter what because there will always be unserious people who think this is easy or get rich quick in nature. When I got my first multi, I knew what it was because I went to see it multiple times. It was a mid to lower Class C. Downtown Hagerstown. From the wholesaler, he said his wife owned the property management side. Little did I know they were incompetent in nature. Most PMs seem incompetent to me, but they took the cake. I was sort of a newbie then who trusted his network and referrals. I've learned. However, because I saw it, I was involved and can handle any class I fought through it. Now, people watch a tik tok and declare themselves investors or STR operators over night. They come on here asking is it necessary to see the property. Not only are they a newbie who doesn't know a damn thing about the community, they won't even come to visit their own asset. They depend on others doing stuff and believe their one job is setting up the bank account for the check. I dont see this changing any time soon.


      I had one BP member ask me about a deal in Memphis.. He was a veteran and I was in the middle of raising money for the charity I started to donate a home to a deserving veteran so I was getting a lot of calls from Veterans.. Anyway He was really hot on the deal but I guess did not know how to use google earth.. so i check it out for him  Next door burn out  Next door obvious set out.. street very poor .. the house its self had been rehabbed.. But as you know location matters.. so he choose a much nicer property.. made his small donation to my cause and we ended up raising 200k to buy the home and donate it.. Was proud of that. !
    • Investor · Fort Washington, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
      Quote from @Mark Cruse:

      This will always be the case no matter what because there will always be unserious people who think this is easy or get rich quick in nature. When I got my first multi, I knew what it was because I went to see it multiple times. It was a mid to lower Class C. Downtown Hagerstown. From the wholesaler, he said his wife owned the property management side. Little did I know they were incompetent in nature. Most PMs seem incompetent to me, but they took the cake. I was sort of a newbie then who trusted his network and referrals. I've learned. However, because I saw it, I was involved and can handle any class I fought through it. Now, people watch a tik tok and declare themselves investors or STR operators over night. They come on here asking is it necessary to see the property. Not only are they a newbie who doesn't know a damn thing about the community, they won't even come to visit their own asset. They depend on others doing stuff and believe their one job is setting up the bank account for the check. I dont see this changing any time soon.


      I had one BP member ask me about a deal in Memphis.. He was a veteran and I was in the middle of raising money for the charity I started to donate a home to a deserving veteran so I was getting a lot of calls from Veterans.. Anyway He was really hot on the deal but I guess did not know how to use google earth.. so i check it out for him  Next door burn out  Next door obvious set out.. street very poor .. the house its self had been rehabbed.. But as you know location matters.. so he choose a much nicer property.. made his small donation to my cause and we ended up raising 200k to buy the home and donate it.. Was proud of that. !

       Im so happy you were there for him. lol

      And from a veteran myself, that action and your charity is epic. 

  • V.G JasonPro Member
    Investor · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    Trust, but verify.

  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    1y

    There are good turnkey operators but unfortunately there are many such cases of bad operators doing a poor job. And I've seen several outright scams. Definitely something to be very careful about. 

  • Select a State · Member since 2010 · 26 posts · 7 votes
    1y

    For Rent to Retirement to say they exist to educate is absurd. They get a finder’s fee as a middleman. At least be honest about your intentions. You use deceptive advertising. I once sarcastically made a comment that people should invest in Cleveland and then I was bombarded with emails from Rent to Retirement,

  • Victor PatelBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2022 · 133 posts · 89 votes
    1y

    Let me add my two cents. I'm an investor and a licensed real estate broker in the Greater Cincinnati area, specializing in selling rental properties for over 20 years. Having lived here for almost 35 years, I know the market well.

    Some of my best clients have come from places like Los Angeles and San Francisco. One piece of advice I always give: don’t rely solely on turnkey companies. Instead, narrow down a few cities you're interested in, then go visit them. Talk to real estate agents, lenders, and local investors. Spend time in a neighborhood — sit in a coffee shop, watch the traffic, observe the people and the overall vibe. I even suggest stopping by the local police department to ask about crime in the area.

    I always encourage my out-of-state clients to visit the city and see the property in person before making an offer. Thankfully, all of my clients have done this initially — they flew in, got to know the area, and got to know me. After purchasing their first few properties and gaining confidence, they were comfortable making offers remotely. By then, they knew what they were getting into.

    Turnkey companies can be hit or miss. It’s ultimately up to the buyer to do their due diligence. If you choose to go the turnkey route, get as much information as possible about the property and neighborhood — and then verify everything yourself. Make the trip. In the long run, doing this can save you a lot of money and avoid major headaches.

    My motto as an investor has always been: “Trust no one — verify everything.” Because at the end of the day, if something goes wrong, the responsibility falls on you.

  • Stuart UdisPro Member
    Attorney · Philadelphia · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    "Turn key" and $175k homes do not belong in the same conversation. Any investor who believes they are  acquiring a property that is renovated with little to no deferred maintenance in this price point is simply unrealistic. It is impossible to absorb the costs of a proper and thorough renovation in lower price point markets. It's why these homes typically have band-aid fixes, are renovated with the cheapest materials and the cheapest sub contractor labor. Its the only way to make even the slightest margin re-selling. It's a price point that also requires hands on care. The belief these properties can then be run relying 100% on 3rd party vendors is laughable.  Perhaps you can buy turn key in more expensive markets where the product can absorb the costs of a proper renovation or when purchasing new construction which will have builder warranties and other benefits. 

    It's why I laugh each time I see someone post on BP an endorsement for a turn key provider after purchasing their first investment property. Most are investors who can't afford to buy real estate in their local market and therefore turn to turn key solutions in markets they can afford. Normally the cheapest markets.  Literally the least qualified people to make an endorsement. Jonathan's client most likely falls within this category.



  • Investor · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2016 · 446 posts · 305 votes
    1y

    Same thing in Birmingham, Alabama (South Eastlake).

  • Charles ClarkBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2020 · 306 posts · 209 votes
    1y

    @Johnathan Trimble
    Absolutely spot on — thank you for sharing this. New investorsmust prioritize due diligence over hype. Working with local, experienced professionals who know the neighborhoods inside and out makes all the difference. Real estate is a long game, not a shortcut — and the right foundation is everything.

    Raise the Standard RE LLC55 Reviews
    View Page
  • Johnathan TrimbleBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2020 · 19 posts · 59 votes
    1y

    This post really was not intended to create arguments, attack a business, or drive me business, it purely was meant to be a PSA for investors to do their homework, especially when dealing with ANY turnkey provider. I figured it would be a good topic, I have a been a featured agent for a few years here on BiggerPockets and done a poor job on being active on my profile, so I really am trying to be more active. 

    I worked for a turnkey provider here in KCMO that honestly did things right, I worked on the acquisition side where I was going in and underwriting leads that came in and then negotiating with the sellers for my company to acquire them. The company would then renovate in house, sell to their investor base, and then had in house property management so they HAD to be held accountable. Their investors came from a specific group where they could all discuss, so if a mistake was made they were forced to immediately make it right so as to not disrupt their business. They were only buying in C class areas as well to minimize issues and protect their investors from high turnover and damaged properties in areas where the appreciation is not as strong. 

    At this point I have bought and sold over 200 houses, hold 17 rentals, and flipped over 20, and grew up around real estate as my parents are small time ma and pa investors. So although I may not be a veteran, I do know a thing or two by now for a 27 year old. 

    I can appreciate you clarifying your business practices and informing me and others, again, I am sure there are way more examples of Rent to Retirement helping investors than not. But for the investors reading this, I just want them to consult with other professionals in the area before buying into something blindly which I see with turnkey operators. 

    For the example I had given, MY crew did the make ready and got it right back to the condition that it was originally sold in. I actually represent many more sellers than buyers, and have my own real estate team, it is not a matter of my marketing or any other factors. The house was never truly worth $175k.


    The property was bought June of 2022. So I took all the sales in a half mile from the comparable (screenshot with 21 listings) of January 1st to May 26th 2022 and compared it to this years stats from January 1st 2025 to May 26th, 2025 (screenshot with 19 listings). This particular area has not appreciated like other areas in our market as this is a rough zip code but prices have not dropped. Also for reference 2922 Bales Ave is 1707 sqft 4 bed 1 bath (4th bedroom is converted attic that is accessed through another bedroom) with a shared driveway. It just simply is not, and was not ever worth $175k. Nothing to do with any other factors as they paid to fix this property back up to original shape, which can be seen in the professional listing photos online. These sellers have had 2 make readys on this property, and still cannot sell at $140k when they bought for $175k. Transaction costs to sell will be around $10,000 with commissions and title fees (assuming buyer doesn't ask for seller paid closing costs), putting them at a net of $130k. Add in the make readys and this is north of a $50,000 loss. 

  • Don KonipolBusiness Member
    Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    1y

    @Johnathan Trimble makes a very strong case, in a very professional way 

    Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
  • Property Manager · Southfield Mi · Member since 2018 · 183 posts · 172 votes
    1y

    Love the topic 

    (However, I don't think throwing any specific company under the bus was needed to make the point.)

    Being knee deep in the market here in Detroit for the past 30 years as a rehabber and property manager, I can say for sure that as a cash flow strategy the turnkey model can work great pretty much "anywhere" in the Metro Area. We have seen it work firsthand.  Detroit is as eclectic as an urban area can get in terms of how diverse the neighborhoods are and how fast the property class changes within the same zip code or for that matter even within a 1/2 mile radius.  Zip code is a poor indicator here. 

    I have a client from CA who recently purchased a turnkey SFH in a class D neighborhood in Detroit for approximately 90k. The comps came in around 95k so he had a little equity that carried over. We placed a Section 8 tenant in 3 days after posting it for rent who will be paying $1,350.00 per month. The cash flow is set for approximately +325.00 per month.

    You could have walked the neighborhood, talked to local realtors, placed an ear against the ground, hired a shaman, etc. and it would not have told you if this was a good purchase.  As a matter of fact, the analytics may have said it was a "No go". What will make this deal a "Good" one is the strategy and the team, not the property, the neighborhood, The class, or even (in most circumstances where you plan to hold it for 3 or more years) the rate of appreciation. if you have the right team of committed professionals who understand your goals and know their territory you have a good chance for success pretty much anywhere.  There is a winning strategy for every neighborhood.  

  • Investor · Statewide, MO · Member since 2011 · 814 posts · 425 votes
    2mo

    Any feedback or response from the original sellers in this deal? The data looks pretty clear. 

    @Johnathan Trimble

    Good presentation of info here. 

    AI tells me: 
    Yes, 2922 Bales Ave, Kansas City, MO 64128 is located in what real estate investors typically classify as a Class D neighborhood.
    This is a pretty common stomping ground for turn key operators.

  • Member since 2026 · 15 posts · 7 votes
    2mo

    Adding a data point from the buyer's side — I walked away from a KC turnkey last week, and what stopped me wasn't the neighborhood. The zip was C-class but on a reasonable trajectory, and the renovation was real. It was three things sitting inside the seller's own documents.

    First, the comps. Three of the four sale comparables were pulled from the adjacent zip code, 1 to 1.4 miles away, with zero location adjustment applied. The single comp in the subject's own zip got the lowest weight in the reconciliation — around 20% — because it required the most adjustment. So the one data point actually from the neighborhood counted least. Mechanically defensible, but the result was location-blind, and it happened to point uphill.

    Second, taxes. The listed figure was $181/yr because the county assessment hadn't caught up to the renovation. Missouri reassesses in odd years, so 2027 takes that to roughly $2,800 — about a quarter of gross rent. The projected 9.3% cash-on-cash was built on the $181.

    Third, the appraisal graded the property as having central air. The inspection five days later found no cooling equipment on site at all. Same inspection couldn't test the furnace (thermostat not installed), the water heater (shut off), or any outlet (no power to the house).

    To be fair to the seller: he sent me the raw appraisal and inspection PDFs unprompted, which is the only reason I found any of it. But the appraisal was seller-commissioned and states plainly that no third party may rely on it — I was never an intended user.

    If you're buying out of state, three pages are worth more than the whole marketing packet: the transfer history page, the location line of the comp grid, and the reconciliation weights. Then rerun the taxes at reassessed value.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.