New Investor Advice - Carolina Coastal

New Investor Advice - Carolina Coastal

Member since 2025 · 5 posts · 5 votes

I’m starting to look at out-of-state investing, specifically in long-term rentals across North and South Carolina. I’ve spent a good amount of time running numbers and analyzing rent-to-price ratios, but I’m finding the hardest part is actually narrowing down which towns to target.

A few things I’m keeping in mind:

  • I like being near water since values usually hold stronger long-term.

  • At the same time, I want to avoid areas with high flood risk.

  • I’m focused on steady, long-term rental demand rather than short-term or vacation rentals.

For those of you already investing in the Carolinas:

  • How do you evaluate towns when deciding where to buy?

  • Any markets/areas you’ve had good (or bad) experiences with?

  • What are the key things you look for beyond just the rent comps?

Any insights on how to make that “final cut” in choosing towns would be a huge help.

Thanks in advance!

Looking at out of state investing in long term rental for North/South carolina regions - any advice when looking for towns?  Spent a lot of time analyzing rents but making that final seleciton on towns is difficult for me.  I like near water as home values usually stay high, out of high flood risk areas 

4Reply
171 views

Most Popular Reply

Myrtle Mike ThompsonBusiness Member
Realtor · Myrtle Beach, SC · Member since 2016 · 350 posts · 204 votes
1y

@Sean Hennessy I suggest looking at Myrtle Beach and its inland neighbor Conway, SC.  Most people think of Myrtle Beach as a vacation destination, but the full-time resident population of Horry County has been growing rapidly... 18% over the past 5 years.  Most areas are low risk for flood, and the job sector has become more diverse.  Conway, for example, is home to Coastal Carolina University (the area's largest college), a leading hospital network, and a wide range of manufacturers.  The area as a whole has seen 5.2% employment growth over the past 12 months.  Meanwhile, home prices are still well below the national average.  Feel free to shoot me any questions if I can help with anything.

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Cary, NC · Member since 2021 · 122 posts · 29 votes
    1y

    I'm in NC in Raleigh-Durham area. Have you looked at the insurance premiums on the coast? I've seen my clients with those coastal properties spending a lot on insurance. The area I'm in has much lower (like half) the premiums with better long term and mid term rental opportunities. I could connect you with a realtor in this area that invests and understands the different markets. I'm also with the One Brokerage so I can run numbers for you on properties around here and get you closed when you find a deal you want to move on. 

    • Member since 2025 · 5 posts · 5 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Kate Nixon Taylor:

      I'm in NC in Raleigh-Durham area. Have you looked at the insurance premiums on the coast? I've seen my clients with those coastal properties spending a lot on insurance. The area I'm in has much lower (like half) the premiums with better long term and mid term rental opportunities. I could connect you with a realtor in this area that invests and understands the different markets. I'm also with the One Brokerage so I can run numbers for you on properties around here and get you closed when you find a deal you want to move on. 


       Hi Kate - That’s a really helpful perspective. I will look into the insurance premiums to make sure I'm accounting for those properly.  I haven't ruled out Raleigh-Durham region, it's just not one of the top markets for me at this moment but I will take a look to see if that could have potential for me and will reach out if my targets change

    • Lender · Cary, NC · Member since 2021 · 122 posts · 29 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Sean Hennessy:
      Quote from @Kate Nixon Taylor:

      I'm in NC in Raleigh-Durham area. Have you looked at the insurance premiums on the coast? I've seen my clients with those coastal properties spending a lot on insurance. The area I'm in has much lower (like half) the premiums with better long term and mid term rental opportunities. I could connect you with a realtor in this area that invests and understands the different markets. I'm also with the One Brokerage so I can run numbers for you on properties around here and get you closed when you find a deal you want to move on. 


       Hi Kate - That’s a really helpful perspective. I will look into the insurance premiums to make sure I'm accounting for those properly.  I haven't ruled out Raleigh-Durham region, it's just not one of the top markets for me at this moment but I will take a look to see if that could have potential for me and will reach out if my targets change


       Hi Sean, No problem! I have seen the insurance premiums for my clients on the NC coast, so I know those are at least twice as high as over here. If you need any help with financing, I can help in any state. I'd be happy to connect and keep in touch as questions come up. 

  • Arman AhmedPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2024 · 2k+ posts · 929 votes
    1y

    @Sean Hennessy

    Sean, great that you're already digging into rent-to-price ratios and thinking long term. When evaluating towns, I'd look beyond comps and focus on fundamentals: population/job growth, diversity of employers (not just tourism), landlord/tenant laws, and property tax trends. Near-water locations can be great, but definitely cross-check FEMA flood maps and insurance costs so you don't get surprised. Talking with local PMs is also invaluable—they'll tell you where tenants actually want to live and what areas tend to have higher turnover. I invest in the Midwest, but the same principles apply no matter the market—strong fundamentals usually beat chasing the cheapest deal.

  • Jimmy LieuBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Sean Hennessy:

    I’m starting to look at out-of-state investing, specifically in long-term rentals across North and South Carolina. I’ve spent a good amount of time running numbers and analyzing rent-to-price ratios, but I’m finding the hardest part is actually narrowing down which towns to target.

    A few things I’m keeping in mind:

    • I like being near water since values usually hold stronger long-term.

    • At the same time, I want to avoid areas with high flood risk.

    • I’m focused on steady, long-term rental demand rather than short-term or vacation rentals.

    For those of you already investing in the Carolinas:

    • How do you evaluate towns when deciding where to buy?

    • Any markets/areas you’ve had good (or bad) experiences with?

    • What are the key things you look for beyond just the rent comps?

    Any insights on how to make that “final cut” in choosing towns would be a huge help.

    Thanks in advance!

    Looking at out of state investing in long term rental for North/South carolina regions - any advice when looking for towns?  Spent a lot of time analyzing rents but making that final seleciton on towns is difficult for me.  I like near water as home values usually stay high, out of high flood risk areas 

    That’s a great question and one that a lot of people run into when first looking out of state, because while the numbers and spreadsheets are straightforward, actually narrowing down the towns is usually more about weighing long-term fundamentals and demand drivers; when you’re evaluating towns in the Carolinas, you’ll want to not only look at the rent-to-price ratios but also consider how resilient the local economy is, whether there are universities or stable employers nearby, how infrastructure projects or population inflows are shaping future demand, and whether the city or county has landlord-friendly policies since those can make or break your experience. Personally, I like to see signs of organic population growth rather than speculative vacation traffic, because when people are moving in for jobs and schools it usually means steady long-term rental demand; on the flip side, I’d be cautious about towns that look attractive just because they’re “near the water,” since insurance costs and flood maps can change quickly, and that can eat into cash flow if you’re not careful. I’ll also say, since you’re still exploring, it might be worth broadening your lens a bit—markets like Columbus, Ohio are attracting tons of out-of-state investors right now because they check so many of those same boxes in terms of affordability, landlord-friendliness, job growth, and population inflow, and you can still buy rentals in the $120–180K range that hit the 1% rule and generate immediate cash flow while riding the wave of appreciation from huge employers like Intel, Amazon, Google, Honda, Microsoft, and LG moving in. Happy to connect and answer any questions you have!

  • Myrtle Mike ThompsonBusiness Member
    Realtor · Myrtle Beach, SC · Member since 2016 · 350 posts · 204 votes
    1y

    @Sean Hennessy I suggest looking at Myrtle Beach and its inland neighbor Conway, SC.  Most people think of Myrtle Beach as a vacation destination, but the full-time resident population of Horry County has been growing rapidly... 18% over the past 5 years.  Most areas are low risk for flood, and the job sector has become more diverse.  Conway, for example, is home to Coastal Carolina University (the area's largest college), a leading hospital network, and a wide range of manufacturers.  The area as a whole has seen 5.2% employment growth over the past 12 months.  Meanwhile, home prices are still well below the national average.  Feel free to shoot me any questions if I can help with anything.

    • Member since 2025 · 5 posts · 5 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Myrtle Mike Thompson:

      @Sean Hennessy I suggest looking at Myrtle Beach and its inland neighbor Conway, SC.  Most people think of Myrtle Beach as a vacation destination, but the full-time resident population of Horry County has been growing rapidly... 18% over the past 5 years.  Most areas are low risk for flood, and the job sector has become more diverse.  Conway, for example, is home to Coastal Carolina University (the area's largest college), a leading hospital network, and a wide range of manufacturers.  The area as a whole has seen 5.2% employment growth over the past 12 months.  Meanwhile, home prices are still well below the national average.  Feel free to shoot me any questions if I can help with anything.


       Thanks Mike for providing that information, I may have overlooked that region based on some the facts you've shared.  Based on it being close to some of the markets I was targeting I will definitely evaluate if this has some potential for me and connect

  • Andrew BornPro Member
    Insurance Agent · McLean, VA · Member since 2018 · 13 posts · 7 votes
    11mo

    I am an insurance agent and it’s true that premiums are much higher in coastal North Carolina. Rates have increased significantly and there are less carriers willing to even do business near the coast. If you have more questions, feel free to reach out! 

  • Todd AndersonPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2023 · 392 posts · 175 votes
    11mo

    @Sean Hennessy,

    I have had a very good number of investors reach out to me about the Charlotte area lately.  This is an area that is growing in both population and employment.  There are many small markets that are just outside the metro that have very good metrics as well.  

    I was up there for a few days just 3 weeks ago and the entire area was growing and vibrant.  An investor that i am working with was having an inspection on a new construction duplex that she is making her first investment on.  It is in a great area next to a college the is in the process of revitalizing.  It is a great opportunity that will cash flow as soon as it is closed. 

    I would, and have, strongly recommend the Charlotte market.  When looking there I would also recommend looking in to Build to Rent opportunities for OOS investing.  This can give you the advantage of having a new property with a warranty, which greatly limits maintenance costs.  For the first time in a very long time, on average, new construction is cheaper that existing homes.  

    Let me know if I can answer any more specific questions. 

    Best of luck on your search.  

  • Investor · Raleigh · Member since 2026 · 14 posts · 5 votes
    8mo

    Hi Sean, I’m reaching out because I work with investors in the North Carolina market. I come across solid rental, flip, and buy-and-hold opportunities regularly. Would you be open to reviewing deals in this area?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.