Opportunity in Michigan - Genuine advice appreciated

Opportunity in Michigan - Genuine advice appreciated

Member since 2025 · 9 posts · 9 votes

I am debating on making an offer on a SFH in Grand Rapids, MI. I flew in mid-week to look at a series of places with my agent. Out of the 7 we saw, one was a standout in the terms of a decent value for the money. In some ways it is turnkey (mechanicals, quality finishes in high touchpoint areas), but in other ways there's additional equity to build from the start (space to add additional livable sq ft). Further, the area appreciated in the high single digits the last two years and is on-trend to do the same for 2025 and 2026. It also quotes quite well for a landlord-based insurance policy vs some other locations around the country.

The detriment is the investor-adverse non-homestead tax rate. In order to make the deal work under DSCR ratios, I would have to step up to a 30% down payment. Though I have this, it'd be taking a down payment investment from approximately 50k to 75k. This would be essentially moving assets from the market to an appreciating real estate asset, but it's still a large increase to pivot to unexpectedly. Is this a smart move still?

After loan approval, I'm not required to keep escrow, so I could keep funds in the market if I thought the holdings would grow faster than the market is improving. I'd functionally be doing a buy and hold deal with the property being used as a mid-term investment, so rent receipts would be decent (cash positive). I wouldn't be throwing money at a problem to force it to work, I'd more so be burying equity into the property which of course I could leverage into another deal.

Any offer would have to be at or potentially slightly above ask to be competitive. I'd ask for up to 2% seller credits toward closing costs (most allowed under my loan) and the usual contingencies which are still permissible in this competitive market. 

Purchase price: 260k (mid-term projections of 2.6-2.9k/month)
Down payment: 77k (approx)
Non-homestead: $6,200/yr based on new taxable value post-close
Landlord policy: $1,500/yr

No significant investment needed to improve the real property to the point of it being rentable, though there would be investment upfront to furnish and stock the home. Looking to benefit from the 100% bonus tax depreciation under Section 179 before year's end.

Would you do this deal?

1Reply
155 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · OR · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 3 votes
11mo
Hi Justin,
Take a look at Jackson, Michigan. It's a charming town! Starting in 2020, we starting investing in multiplexes there. We have a couple with a great cap rate that are for sale and we just reduced them in price to move them.
~ Lindy
See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Professional · Rockford, MI · Member since 2015 · 301 posts · 138 votes
    11mo

    Justin, for clarity when you say you want to take advantage of the 100% bonus tax depreciation that Section 179 allows you to expense the full purchase price of eligable business property (farm equiptment for example), however "real property" like a single family or duplex does not qualify for the full expensing or depreciation. Are you planning to use this property as a short term rental, or for long term tenants? 

      • Member since 2025 · 9 posts · 9 votes
        11mo
        Quote from @Tim VandenToorn:

        Justin, for clarity when you say you want to take advantage of the 100% bonus tax depreciation that Section 179 allows you to expense the full purchase price of eligable business property (farm equiptment for example), however "real property" like a single family or duplex does not qualify for the full expensing or depreciation. Are you planning to use this property as a short term rental, or for long term tenants? 

          This would be used for a mid or long term rental. No short term since it wouldn't be owner occupied. My apologies if I'm factually incorrect, but sources I've read stated that you could use the accelerated depreciation on goods and supplies that didn't become part of the real property. Ie, furniture, linens, etc etc etc. 
      • Ricardo R.Pro Member
        Property Manager · Michigan Ctr, MI · Member since 2016 · 661 posts · 581 votes
        11mo

        Hey Justin,

        Solid breakdown — sounds like you’ve done your homework. Grand Rapids is a great market long-term, but you’re right: that non-homestead tax rate in Michigan can sting for investors. It’s not a deal-killer, but it’s something you absolutely have to bake into your numbers from day one.

        Here’s how I’d look at it:

        1. 30% down isn’t wasted money — it’s protection.
        You're buying into an appreciating market with a DSCR-friendly property. Yeah, it's a bigger check up front, but that equity immediately lowers your risk. Grand Rapids has solid fundamentals — job growth, schools, medical hubs — and the appreciation trend you mentioned isn't hype. You're not parking cash in a dead asset; you're transferring it into something that will likely outpace inflation and kick off monthly income.

        2. Taxes suck, but they’re stable.
        Once you buy, that taxable value’s “capped” for future years except for inflationary increases (thanks to Michigan’s Proposal A). So even though the first-year jump hurts, you’re not going to see wild hikes every year like in some states.

        3. DSCR reality check.
        With $2,600–$2,900 projected rents on a $260K property, you’re right on the line but still in the zone. If you’re truly cash positive and locking in a solid area, that’s a green light in my book — especially if your plan is to hold mid-term and use bonus depreciation to juice year-one returns.

        4. Section 179 bonus depreciation:
        Smart move. If you’re furnishing it as a mid-term rental, that depreciation on furniture, appliances, and improvements can seriously offset your first year’s income. Just make sure you’re running it as a legitimate rental business (Schedule E won’t capture those benefits as well as a business structure might).

        If this were me, and I had the liquidity to stretch from $50K to $75K without draining reserves, I’d do it — especially since you’re getting both cash flow and appreciation potential. Michigan’s investor taxes aren’t fun, but they’re predictable, and Grand Rapids has proven to weather downturns well. Just make sure to get your insurance quote confirmed (wind/hail can swing it a bit), and verify that the township hasn’t reassessed yet post-sale — they sometimes do that late and surprise new owners.

        You’re thinking like a long-term investor already — this isn’t “throwing money at a deal,” it’s repositioning your capital into something that compounds in more than one way; Justin I hope this helps you a bit, I sent you DM on BP... it's one of the reasons I do this, I hope you can assist. 

      • Zach ProuxBusiness Member
        Member since 2024 · 7 posts · 1 vote
        11mo

        @Justin Bul 

        Justin, thanks for laying this out — you’ve clearly put time into thinking through the numbers. I’d strongly recommend running this deal by a local property manager before moving forward. For context, my wife and I are property managers here in Grand Rapids, so we spend every day looking at rent comps, tenant demand, and what actually performs in this market.

        A $260K property projecting $2,600–$2,900 per month in rent definitely catches my attention. That’s on the high side for a turnkey property at that price point, so before I could say whether I’d do the deal myself, I’d want to see the specific address and neighborhood details. With that, I could give you a much clearer picture — and I’d be happy to take a closer look at no cost.

        The 30% down payment requirement doesn’t strike me as the biggest issue here. What really matters is whether the property can truly achieve the rents you’re expecting and whether the fundamentals (location, condition, tenant pool) support your long-term goals. One thing I wasn’t totally sure from your post was whether “mid-term” meant a rental strategy (furnished, 3–6 month stays) or just your investment horizon. The distinction matters, since the economics are very different between mid-term rentals and traditional buy-and-hold.

        Overall, I agree you’re looking in the right place. Grand Rapids is one of the stronger markets in the Midwest for appreciation, low vacancy, and balanced rent growth. The question is less “should I invest here” and more “is this the right property to achieve my strategy.” With the specifics, I could help you answer that.

      • Member since 2025 · 9 posts · 9 votes
        11mo

        Zach, 

        Thanks for the reply. By mid-term, I was referring to the fully-furnished and extended term stay. 

        As an update, I elected to pass on this deal. I had reached out to two different property managers and each gave concern about a specific detail of the property that gave them pause whether potential clients would have an issue with a particular feature. When I gave feedback to the agent that had been representing me, it exposed not only an unwillingness to consider factors that could diminish the fair market value, but also put into question for me if the agent was more concerned with representing me or keeping acquaintance with a colleague. 

        For these two reasons combined, I passed on both the property in question and the agent who had been supporting me. I am now under contract on a different property in a different state. Much different and beneficial opportunity.

      • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
        11mo

        That deal sounds very mediocre. Just leave it in stock index funds. 

      • Rental Property Investor · OR · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 3 votes
        11mo
        Hi Justin,
        Take a look at Jackson, Michigan. It's a charming town! Starting in 2020, we starting investing in multiplexes there. We have a couple with a great cap rate that are for sale and we just reduced them in price to move them.
        ~ Lindy
        • Real Estate Professional · Rockford, MI · Member since 2015 · 301 posts · 138 votes
          9mo
          Quote from @Lindy Gaskill:
          Hi Justin,
          Take a look at Jackson, Michigan. It's a charming town! Starting in 2020, we starting investing in multiplexes there. We have a couple with a great cap rate that are for sale and we just reduced them in price to move them.
          ~ Lindy

           Did you sell your dulexes?  Are you moving your money into another market?

      • Rental Property Investor · OR · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 3 votes
        9mo
        @TimVandenToorn The Jackson, Mi duplexes are still for sale. I heard we might have an offer on them soon though. They are nice income producing properties so to me, no hurry. Yes, we are investing in other markets.
      Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.