1031 Exchanges

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Dietz
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Reedsburg, WI
Votes |
What types of Syndicatoins or Similar Arrangements qualify 1031?

Daniel Dietz
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Reedsburg, WI
Posted Apr 15 2018, 19:20

I am wondering if some could provide a simple explanation, or point in the right direction, to help me understand what types of Syndications or other forms of joint but passive ventures qualify as the 'reinvestment' part of the 1031 transition puzzle?

Part one - my understanding is that you must be buy into a DIRECT interest in real property, vs buying shares of an LLC or other entity that THEN invests into real property. Is that the right line of thinking?

Part two - my assumption that you must be an 'equity partner' and not a 'lender' into the new partnership? I assume that is how most syndicated deals are structured as far the the 'partner' portion goes?

Part three - I realize there are lots of these opportunities out there for those of us who want to go 'search them out'. I am wondering if there is also a 'ready market' or brokers out there who specialize in these types of deal structures? 

I am mostly wondering as part of the strategy I have been working for finding new properties to but is locating 'almost ready to retire landlords' who are open to the idea of selling and getting rid of the 'day to day' but are concerned about the taxes dues and what/where they could put their funds to keep earning a good return. 

Thanks, Dan Dietz

Loading replies...