Building a business plan - Exit Strategies

1 Reply

Newbie question

I've finally made the commitment this year to build my real estate business. I'm dedicating the first quarter of 2015 to literally finishing up my education (not that I've learned everything, just need to pick a time to be in action and not just thinking), building a written business plan, organizing myself (tools, resources, etc) so I am ready to get into action the 2nd quarter of the year.

So reading the chapter in Ultimate Beginner's guide to REI for building a business plan, there is a section for exit strategies. Wondering for those in the buy and hold arena, if anyone has considered, is planning to or is using the strategy of holding the note and selling properties at a certain time?

Let me give an example in case I'm not clear.

So say my business plan was to buy and hold for cash flow for X number of years. 

At the end of X years, then I want to sell the SFR. But I want to hold the note upon sale. (not saying I wouldn't accept cash) but the goal would be to find someone wanting to use me as their lender, maybe to get an extra few years of cash flow from that same property. I like the idea of whatever tenant moves in near the X year, you offer to do a form of a lease to own option (increase rent for down payment) then convert it into a loan at a certain date.

Opinions?

Its certainly a viable exit strategy. You just have to be comfortable with the fact that you are the bank which means you get to go through the entertaining, quick & low-cost experience of having to foreclose on someone if they they don't pay the mortgage. 

Many buy and hold investors never sell their properties or 1031 into their next properties because taxes can take a huge bite out of profits after factoring in capital gains with a reduced basis due to appreciation.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here