18 Year Old Realtor

4 Replies

Hello Everyone,

I just recently signed up on this website after reading one article about getting started in the business, which was published by an author on this website.
Currently, I am looking into becoming a realtor that will,hopefully, be dealing with the listing and/or selling aspect of estate. Not too long ago, I just enrolled into a "pre-licensing" course that will begin on Monday(7-16-2015) and will also be fully dedicating my self to this field.
A little background information of myself:

1.)I just recently graduated from high school as an honor student who is working as an assistant manager/receptionist at a real estate firm. 
2.)I have grown up participating in 6 sports(possibly irrelevant to this topic but hopefully providing you guys an impression/idea of me as well).
3.)As stated in the post subject, I am an 18 year old.
4.)I come from a family of self-employed business owners, doctors, engineers, and stock investor(s).
5.)I'm quite the tech-savvy person 
6.)I will be taking 13 credits of college courses at a community college in the fall semester

I under this career demands a great deal of one's time but I am willing to sacrifice that time for this career by limiting my social outings. So my intentions of coming to this forum is to request some advice from experienced people in the field, regardless of age. Some of my questions include:

1.) How would I be able to capture some listings?
2.) What books/reads would I need to involve myself into for knowledge of marketing?
3.) Should I begin interning as a realtor at another firm and move on from being an assistant?
4.) What type of general knowledge should I become knowledgeable of?
5.) How would I begin building a client-base in an effective manner?
6.) What do I need to understand in terms of economics/finances?
7.) Any helpful advice that you are willing to offer?
8.) What was your experience as a first-year agent like?
9.) Where should I start in terms of planning goals?
10.) How would I reach out to buyers and represent them as a selling agent?

These are just some of the questions that I can currently think of, momentarily. If you can, please provide a response.

Thank you!

Nathan Wow you sound like a crusher. I'm not a realtor so I can't answer many of your questions but I did listen to one of Tom Hopkins sales training audio books and would recommend it to any aspiring sales people. I do recommending getting audiobook format so you can hear his cadence and how he talks. He also became a realtor 18 and talks about some of the obstacles he had to overcome with his age. Good luck!

Hi @Nathan Le ,

I have been in the same situation as you, at least very close to your situation: My father is a broker in France, so I was able to start working in real estate very young; doing my first internships at 15 etc..
I haven't been a full time realtor but have been a salesperson for 2 development project ( on one of them I was 19) ; plus i have worked as a listing agent and finally analyst for investor.
Throughout all these experiences the biggest challenge I met was to be credible as people had a lot of cliche on young people. For example, owner were at first sight reluctant to give me their property for my listing / buyer were at first contact kind of worry too.
I would say the most important is to build your credibility by being very knowledgeable and sound like a professional. Try to choose a specific area you want to work in and try to acquired all the information you can get (who sold his house; what price; average price/sqft) you can get these information on the net or by discussing with people living there. Stay up to date on the state of the market, or RE state nationwide. In terms of economic/finance, the knowledge needed is pretty basic and straight forward. Maybe try to educate yourself to loan opportunities etc so you can discuss it with your future buyers.
Also to get listings, train on your cold calling; when calling people, they can't know how old you are, so you have all your chance to make a good impression, and the listing is yours!
I would say that working in a renown agency would be a good idea: you have the prestige of the firm to help you convince people.

Finally don't be afraid because once you have overcome the first impression they have about you, your age is an advantage: people will have sympathy for you very quickly, you can built good relationship!

@Nathan Le

I got my real estate salesperson license when I was 18 years old, just a few months after graduating high school. While I was unsuccessful, some of my co-workers made good money and were my age or a few years older.

The best tips I can give you are:

1. Try to start with rentals, rather than sales. These are much simpler transactions and you have a better chance of working with clients closer to your age.

2. Know your market. This will give you confidence and you will sound like you know what you are doing. People will be more likely to work with you and not feel like they are wasting their time with an inexperienced rookie. Learn what different types of apartments rent for in different neighborhoods.

3. Learn the process, quickly. Your co-workers will give you varying amounts of help but there is nothing like knowing the entire process from answering an incoming cold call to closing the deal, and ultimately getting paid. You will pick up on real estate terminology and sales techniques over time just listening to your co-workers.

Good luck.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you