• Investor
  • Noblesville, IN
Votes |
Business Structure

Jim Rowe
  • Investor
  • Noblesville, IN
Posted May 11 2016, 13:42

Hello BP members. I am interested in real estate investing and hope to get some advice regarding the optimal business structure. By optimal, I’d like this structure to provide asset protection and tax savings.

I presently own 1 rental property that is returning solid cash flow in my self-directed Roth IRA. My plan is to flip properties until I develop enough cash to invest in a passive revenue rental property and then repeat.

I hope a few of the seasoned BP pro's could help me understand the best business structure. Do I need separate operating and holding entities? Do I use S-Corp, LLC or LLC-S and/or a combination? Should I have this in place before purchasing my first property? How much should I plan to send on these entities?

I completely understand these are rough numbers and I am only looking for general guidance. Thanks so much for your help.

User Stats

Votes
Brian Eastman
Pro Member
  • Self Directed IRA & 401k Advisor
  • Wenatchee, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Self Directed IRA & 401k Advisor
  • Wenatchee, WA
Replied May 11 2016, 13:51

@Jim Rowe

Your question is unclear to a degree.

Are you looking to engage in the flipping and growth of capital in the Roth IRA you mention, or with personal non-qualified funds?

User Stats

Votes
Jim Rowe
  • Investor
  • Noblesville, IN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Noblesville, IN
Replied May 23 2016, 19:34

I'd like the flexibility of using multiple cash sources.  My self directed Roth, traditional and home equity as well as borrowed funds.   I'd like to be able to flip, wholesale and hold long term rentals.   I also believe it can be structured so I pay less than 20% tax rate.  Can this be done?

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Mohammad Akif
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Replied May 25 2016, 21:55

@Jim Rowe There is no one answer fit all as every individual financial situation is unique as well as future goals. I would recommend talking to a tax professional.