Getting a logo: Fiverr, 99designs, other?

19 Replies

Hello BP,

Now that I've done a few deals and am looking to start to brand my company.  I'm looking to get a logo.  What/who have you used for your logo design?  What were prices and was the value there?  Have you noticed a better quality with any of the companies versus the others?

Thanks for the time.

https://www.upwork.com/o/profiles/users/_~019f24df...

That's the guy I use. I've known him for years. 

He did the logo on my site: http://www.sellindyhouses.com/

TBH though that's not even a fair example of his work. I told him exactly what I wanted. He also did @Jeremy Tillotson 's logo. As well as some stuff for some other BP members. Give him a holler and tell him that I sent you. 

Promotion
Roofstock
Buy & sell single-family rentals online
Radically accessible real estate investing
Get access to exclusive property listings, proprietary data, and support to build your portfolio.
Learn More

@Ryan D. Thanks for the reply.  I will look into it.  I like your logo.  Your website looks great as well.

@Tamara Elliott-Deering Thanks for the reply.  I really like your logo! You definitely got a great deal for $11.  Do they send you a digital in several sizes or how does that work?  I may not be very tech savvy when it comes to design.

@Steven Mallow

The $11 was only because my first logo was so bad I had to start over. The logo I sent you was $5.50. The file is one size and you size it in whatever application want to put it in. Most times it seems to work like magic. Not terribly tech savvy myself. My biggest hang up was whether the company name was on the logo or not, sometimes like for a t-shirt I want the name on there but for my business cards (which I get from Vista Print by the way) I didn't so I had to do some editing on my own. If you're not comfortable with that you may want to ask for logos both with and without your company name. Also, the clearer you can be with the intent you're trying to get across with your logo, your company colors and all of that the easier it will be for them to design a logo that works.

Hey @Steven Mallow

Aside from the logo, to what extent have you really ironed out the details of your company and brand image? For instance, have you named your company yet? 

The less direction you can provide, the less effective low-cost sites like Fiverr and 99designs are at delivering a design consistent with you're intended brand image.

It can really pay off to do a bit of the brainstorming/pre-work yourself before outsourcing the process to a third party.

@Kevin Fox Thanks for the questions.

I have named my company.  I was thinking about what colors I want to use going forward yesterday some.  I am hoping to have a little free time this afternoon to iron out some of the details so that I can give the person a good direction to go in.  I was thinking that even though it's just $5 it would still be waste if I didn't give the person a good direction.

Hey @Steven Mallow

I think that would be a great idea. 

Like you said, at the end of the day it is only $5. 

However, your logo is literally the visual embodiment of your brand. So, if you're opting to save money and go a route like Fiverr for designing it; putting a little thought into what exactly you'd like for them to create seems like the least you can do.

Although I can't say that I trust a Fiverr GD artist to completely design the single most important symbol in my company's existence, I do think that the site is an awesome way to get some fresh ideas that you can have a more reputable graphic designer (whom you're hopefully paying slightly more than $5) run with.

@Steven Mallow

No matter what you do, don't think of the logo as just something to identify your brand as, look as it as a full personification of what your company stands for. Branding is difficult and time consuming, but getting it right can be the key to your success. I'd recommend looking at some of the market leaders in your locality as well as the region before deciding what you want your brand to embody. 

Fiverr and Upwork are great sites to have the concept drawn out into physical form, but I would suggest talking with a branding or marketing expert. They'll be able to help you feel out how best to convey the values and ideals of your business into a consistent brand that people can Identify with and thus, value and remember. 

Promotion
PropStream
Web + D4D Mobile App for you & the team!
Trusted Provider of Real Estate Data, Marketing, Skip Tracing & A
#1 Real Estate Software for Investors, Agents & Brokers to find leads and close deals nationwide.
7 Day Free Trial!

Thank you for all of your repsonses. 

@Evan Hunsberger Thanks for the tips.  I definitely am looking for consistency from pieces of marketing to facebook to business cards and logos.  Upwork is one I hadn't heard of.  Is it similar to Fiverr?

As a professional designer (my day job), I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for". A lot of the designs from the cheapie sites reuse graphics for multiple companies/clients, which means your brand might well be your competitor's brand. Just as you would hire a reputable contractor to do your remodel or an attorney experienced in working with investors, so should you hire an experienced designer and invest in a quality logo to represent your company.

If you'd like some help working with or finding a designer, PM me.

Alternately, if you have a healthy budget (read: A LOT more than $11), I'd be happy to give you a quote.

Melissa

@Steven Mallow , Upwork is kind of similar, yeah. Individuals or Companies can post their qualifications and receive invitations to work on jobs or they can search for posted jobs that other people need done. The job poster can then interview the candidates, see their qualifications, and compare bids. 

I couldn't agree with you more Melissa! 

I don't know if this thread is dead or not. But i'm currently using 99designs.com to run a design contest and getting some pretty awesome submissions. Just takes a bit of work to manage all the designers!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you