Advice for starting a Real Estate Investment Company with friends

2 Replies

Hello all! I live in northern Canada (so I understand there are legal differences from our neighbours to the south) and would like to start a real estate investing corporation with a few coworkers. We would be a group of about 5-7 individuals investing in Canada with options to spread into the States if things go well. What I would like advice on is what kind of verbiage to include in our contractual agreement (bylaws, unanimous shareholder agreement, etc.). We want to ensure we are all covered for any types of situations that could arise. Any advice or input is welcomed. Have a great day all!

@Marianne Lopez-Henthorn

If you are starting any partnership, corporation or venture with multiple individuals, you should have an experienced attorney assist you with drawing up any shareowner/partner agreement and/or articles of incorporation.   

If you will be forming this corporation/venture with more than 2-3 partners, your are wandering into the realm of the securities folks and you will absolutely need the services of experienced counsel. 

@Roy N. Thanks for the input and you're totally right. We've been in touch with a lawyer already and we're taking our time in the research phase. I know any major undertaking is 80% planning and 20% doing. Appreciate the help :)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you