Does an LLC have to be formed in the state I live in?

4 Replies

I live in CA and have created a CA LLC. I own a 4plex in AZ and plan to buy more out-of-state properties. I am thinking about scrapping the CA LLC due to the high yearly ($800) annual tax amongst other things. Can I then create an LLC based in Arizona or any other state where I purchase properties, even though I live out of state?  I am trying to avoid the heavy costs associated with California LLC's.  I've heard that LLC's are not absolutely necessary, but I would feel better for tax and protection purposes to have all business monies separate from my personal monies.  Thank you. 

@Jack Calhoun

If you live in CA and are managing from CA, you cannot escape the $800 minimum tax. Even if you create an AZ LLC (or any other state), so long as you are managing from California, you are "doing business" in California according to the Franchise Tax Board, and therefore subject to CA taxes. If you want to form out of state, you will need to register as a foreign LLC in california.

*This post does not create an attorney-client or a CPA-client relationship.  This post is informational only and readers are advised to seek professional advice.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you