• Real Estate Agent
  • Chattanooga, TN
Votes |
Starting a Business as a Real Estate Assistant

David Nacco
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chattanooga, TN
Posted Jun 16 2019, 17:03

I'm considering starting a side business as a real estate assistant working with both agents and investors. I currently work full time and next year when I transition careers I plan to become an agent. I think being an assistant to agents and investors would be a great way to both build experience and connections for when I make the jump into being an agent myself. I currently live in Virginia and what I'm wondering is does anyone know where I can find the legal guidance (not asking for legal advice just a step in the right direction) to what you can and can't do in RE in VA without a license. I originally thought about PM but you cannot do that in VA without a brokers license or working under a broker so that is where I got this idea. I currently work a schedule where every 25 days I only work 5 of those days during what is considered normal working hours so I am available most days during a normal work day.

Also agents and investors, could you tell me which one you are and what services an assistant would be most useful in assisting you in so I can work on prioritizing those when pitching an offer to work with someone. I have been studying real estate nonstop for about 2 years now and I want to spend the next year getting as much hands on experience as I can.

Also before anyone recommends a career change, I am in the military so as much as I’d like to that is not an option currently.

User Stats

Votes
Christopher Phillips
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Garden City, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Garden City, NY
Replied Jun 16 2019, 18:01

@David Nacco

Can't do much without a licence. Very few agents have assistants. It's hard to justify one unless the agent sells a certain amount of volume per year. 

Most of the assistant work is either transaction related or following up on things like setting buyer showing appointments or printing things or updating websites and Instagram. Sometimes agents don't actually have enough work to give their assistants. In a small office, the assistant would also act as a receptionist. However, in large offices, there is usually a set of market center admin people, so the individual agent doesn't need that sort of support.

User Stats

Votes
Stuart Grazier
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Parker, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Parker, CO
Replied Jun 17 2019, 04:53

@David Nacco Why don't you just work on getting your real estate license so you can transition out of the military and into a new real estate career with ease? No reason you can't start now, especially with all that time off you talk about. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes