Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Goals, Business Plans & Entities
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
James Wise#1 Out of State Investing Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Votes |
What age range are you at your best? 20's? 30's? 40's? 50's?.....

James Wise#1 Out of State Investing Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Posted Nov 24 2019, 07:58

I figured this would be an interesting discussion to have. I am really excited to hear from the folks who are much older than I am on this one. As they say "you don't know what you don't know"

@Jay Hinrichs

@Russell Brazil

@Chris Clothier

@J Scott

@Joshua Dorkin

@Brandon Turner

@David Greene

@Joel Owens

@Scott Trench

@Nathan Gesner

What age range do you think you ARE, WILL, or HAVE BEEN at your best in your career?

When we are young we are often inexperienced. With age often comes wisdom and success but it also comes with a slow down. We loose our never ending energy and begin to slow down. We focus more on family and enjoyment when we've crossed off a lot of our life goals.

Me personally, I am 32 right now. I didn't come from any money and when I was in my 20's I worked a ton of crappy jobs including managing a Radio Shack, stocking pop for 7up, delivering pizza and installing / selling Invisible Fences but I had a plan to make it big. I got started on this plan at 21 but it wasn't until I was 27ish and burning both ends of the candle for several years that I was able to completely quit my regular job(s) and devote myself full time to my real estate business. 

Today I run a portfolio of companies with 60+ employees and have sold over $150M of investment real estate so my plan worked but if you talked to me 10+ years ago I was just some schmo schlepping pop onto shelves at grocery stores working for bosses I knew I was smarter then but wasn't ready to put it all together just yet so I was the only one who knew or believed this. 

I still work everyday as I write this. Probably put in 65+ hours a week but truth be told I am not working as much as I was when I was 25-30 and it was do or die. At that time it was a 6am-Midnight grind every day. I've got a son now (more on the way) and am putting much more emphasis on a work / life balance than I was a few years ago. So with that said, I'd say my late 20's I worked the most and the hardest but it's likely that my 30's will probably be the decade that I was at my best as I won't be ready to slow down from what I am currently doing but will be working the smartest now that I've got some experience to goal along with the resources that I've built for myself. As I hit my 40's and beyond I see myself going down to a "normal" 40 hour work week.

So with all of that said what age range do you think you ARE, WILL, or HAVE BEEN at your best in your career?

• 20's?
  • 30's?
  • 40's?
  • 50's?
  • 60's+?

Loading replies...