Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Michelle Weiner
Votes |
Helping mom with her properties

Michelle Weiner
Posted Dec 21 2022, 17:18

My mom needs a lot of help with the properties she owns and my brother and I are stepping in. 

Unfortunately, neither of us was included in the business prior and because of her health issues, the business is in a mess. 

Neither of us really know where to start and any links to articles here or general advice would be appreciated. Also any recommendations for professionals (CPA, financial advisor, etc.) to meet with  to make sure this is all done correctly would be amazing. 

Here are the details:

- She owns 3 commercial properties in Los Angeles

- There are not any mortgages on the properties

- These properties were in a trust that my uncle and mom both were trustees of, but that is being dissolved (there was mediation and the  3 properties she now has were part of that). My uncle and mom are going their separate ways. 

- We are putting the 3 properties into a new trust. 

- I'm thinking we need to create a new LLC or S-Corp to manage the properties once they are inn the trust?

Please feel free  to  ask me any questions if you need more info  to reply. 

User Stats

Votes
Scott Mac
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied Dec 21 2022, 17:41

And you and your Brother know how much about managing commercial properties in Los Angeles?

This might be a learning curve situation for both of you here.

If I were in this situation, I'd talk to an asset protection attorney in California first--someone I was comfortable with (and get out the checkbook).

The others you seek might come from a referral from the 1st attorney--maybe.

Be able to pay the property taxes as they come due (1% of $1M is $10k).

Good Luck!

User Stats

Votes
Michelle Weiner
Votes |
Replied Dec 21 2022, 17:51

We know nothing about managing commercial properties in LA.

Definitely a big learning curve.

Thank you for the advice and I will look into an asset protection attorney.  

BAM Capital  logo
BAM Capital
|
Sponsored
Your Path to Generational Wealth We offer wealth-building and income-producing real estate opportunities for accredited investors.

User Stats

Votes
Nabil Suleiman
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Dec 21 2022, 18:00

@Michelle Weiner

Robert Hall and Associates is pretty well known in the Real Estate CPA space, you can check them out as a reference. I can PM you some contacts for a good trust lawyer, and if theres anything else specifically you need just let me know. 

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#1 General Real Estate Investing Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 General Real Estate Investing Contributor
Replied Dec 21 2022, 18:11

Start by getting copies of the leases.  Know what is and isn't included in the rent (eg are utilities in the tenant's name or your mom's name?).  Make sure rents are up to date.  Read the tenancy laws so you know what you can and can't do.  Make sure all of the taxes are paid.

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Dec 21 2022, 21:30

Get with a CPA on this, you should be in the mindset to keep these properties and have them operate efficiently without taking losses. Having them paid off will help. 

User Stats

Votes
Katie Balatbat
  • CPA and Attorney
  • San Diego, attorney
Votes |
  • CPA and Attorney
  • San Diego, attorney
Replied Dec 23 2022, 10:00

@Michelle Weiner

I presume that you're talking about putting the properties in a revocable family trust? Typically those do not provide asset protection but are an important part of an estate plan. As to whether you want or need an LLC, it can be costly to do so in California, though warranted in several scenarios. If title is changing hands, be careful about property tax implications. Depending on how your mom was able to obtain title and when/how it went into the trust with your uncle, you may have been able to save a reassessment at that time.

*Readers are advised to seek independent counsel and no information in this post is to be taken as legal advice

User Stats

Votes
Matt Giacinto
  • Developer
  • Los Angeles
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Los Angeles
Replied Dec 23 2022, 16:48

There's a few things you can consider, but I'd start with speaking to your CPA to see what makes sense. If you're looking to remain hands off, I'd consider a property manager or a type of real estate that is less work and can allow you to focus on your own aspirations. I'm helping a client in the same type of situation right now. He just had 2 properties handed down from his dad, and he has no clue what to do. Let's connect and maybe I can help you out like I did with him

User Stats

Votes
Rick Albert#1 House Hacking Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Dec 27 2022, 10:30

Everyone is pretty spot on. This is an attorney and CPA thing. 

I would also consider passing things on to a property manager. Let them deal with the learning curve and you just collect the paychecks unless you actually want to be involved and it is a good use of your time. There are some pretty big ones in town that could probably point you in the right direction. If they want your business, they will also give you the right referrals to get everything set up the way you need it to.

User Stats

Votes
Michelle Weiner
Votes |
Replied Dec 28 2022, 11:15

Thanks everyone for your input.  This is  exactly what I  needed. I'm glad to have found  this communnity.