Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Russell Newton
Votes |
To stay, sell, or rent

Russell Newton
Posted May 5 2023, 08:01

Trying to get into real estate investing but not sure if it's the right time. We owe about 113,000 on our (3br 1ba) home and it currently is valued at 190,000. Our interest rate is 2.875% on a 30 year mortgage that began in 2020. We're in a college town and believe that we could get $1300 a month for it. Our mortgage + taxes + insurance + PMI is around $750.

Life context, my wife is finishing her degree in May of 2024. We have a 1.5 year old and have another one on the way. We'll need a bigger home in the next year or so and we could move in with my parents while she finishes school before beginning to work as a teacher. 

Given the state of the economy, should we stay put and wait until we have another income before making any moves? Should we sell and live with my parents and begin to build? Or should we rent our home, live with our parents, and see what the economy does and decide later to build?

User Stats

Votes
Devin James
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Orlando, FL
Replied May 5 2023, 10:42

Hey Russell Newton,

I think most would agree to keep that 2.875% interest rate, thats gold. 

I think your two best options are:

- Stay at your current home & save until you have the income for another property

- Rent your current home, move in with your parents and save until you have the income for another property

The better financial decision will be the latter, but you will need to make sure your wife is on board with that sacrifice for the extra income.

User Stats

Votes
Caleb Brown
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Blue Springs
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Blue Springs
Replied May 5 2023, 10:47

I would save until you can buy another house. Rent out the one you are in once you move out. Seems like it's a good one to hold for the next few years then 1031

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Sobilo#1 Legal & Legislation Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Hanover Twp, PA
Votes |
  • Hanover Twp, PA
Replied May 5 2023, 11:01

@Russell Newton, I disagree a little here depending on the details. If you bought the house for $190k and can sell for $190k, then I might rent because there is no capital gain at this point anyways.

However, if for example, you bought at $120k and can sell at $190k that is a $70k capital gain that you DO NOT HAVE TO PAY INCOME TAX ON because it was your primary residence. You lose that benefit if you rent it for some years as it needs to have been your primary residence for 2 of the last 5 years prior to the sale. Yes, you can use a 1031 exchange to roll proceeds into a new investment if you rent it, and that it good, but not as good as not owing tax at all.

You could use that tax free equity to buy a cash-flowing multifamily or use part of it towards the down payment of the new house etc. Lots of flexibility when you have TAX FREE cash in your pocket. 

User Stats

Votes
Russell Newton
Votes |
Replied May 5 2023, 11:04

@Kevin Sobilo We bought it for $130k, and owe $113k on it. It could sell for anywhere between $180-200

User Stats

Votes
  • Hanover Twp, PA
Votes |
  • Hanover Twp, PA
Replied May 5 2023, 11:19

@Russell Newton, there ya go! So, it sounds like you are looking at a capital gain of $50-70k. Is it it to you to sell now and be exempt from tax on that gain or sell later after renting it several years and take that hit.

Me, I would probably sell and buy 2 duplexes and have 4 cash-flowing units working for me with no additional money out of pocket.

User Stats

Votes
Alex Olson
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City Metro
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City Metro
Replied May 6 2023, 13:47

I agree with Kevin. Great to be able to upgrade!

Xchange CRE - 1031 Exchange RE Brokerage Logo

User Stats

Votes
Mack Lengel
  • Smokies / Greenville, SC
Votes |
  • Smokies / Greenville, SC
Replied May 20 2023, 18:12
Quote from @Russell Newton:

Trying to get into real estate investing but not sure if it's the right time. We owe about 113,000 on our (3br 1ba) home and it currently is valued at 190,000. Our interest rate is 2.875% on a 30 year mortgage that began in 2020. We're in a college town and believe that we could get $1300 a month for it. Our mortgage + taxes + insurance + PMI is around $750.

Life context, my wife is finishing her degree in May of 2024. We have a 1.5 year old and have another one on the way. We'll need a bigger home in the next year or so and we could move in with my parents while she finishes school before beginning to work as a teacher. 

Given the state of the economy, should we stay put and wait until we have another income before making any moves? Should we sell and live with my parents and begin to build? Or should we rent our home, live with our parents, and see what the economy does and decide later to build?

@Russell Newton congrats on the growing family!

You are in a great position to begin snowballing success. You cannot go wrong with keeping the home a having a couple hundred bucks a month of income. The question is what move will be the best for your finances and your family? There is a lot that can go into determining that but the biggest thing is what is your equity doing for you. If you could double the cashflow by selling and buying more property then that would make sense to do so. Take some time and really look into the specifics. @Jonathan Anderson helps people with stuff like this all day every day so he should be able to go through the whole process with you and find the best course of action!

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Anderson
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Greenville, SC
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Greenville, SC
Replied May 22 2023, 13:36

Thanks for the tag, @Mack Lengel!

Russell you definitely have a challenging dilemma here! I'd be happy to sit down with you and discuss it if you're here in Greenville!

User Stats

Votes
Melanie Thomas
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • San Antonio
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • San Antonio
Replied May 22 2023, 13:47
Staying put is the least risky option. Your current payment is reasonable and you may not want to add additional financial responsibilities with your little on the way and wife finishing her degree.

Selling and living w/ parents. If you decide to sell your current home, you could potentially use the equity (the difference between what you owe and the home's value) to start building your next home or invest in other ways. However, this could mean living with your parents for an extended period, which comes with its own challenges. I know this from experience! ><

In all cases, remember to account for all costs. If you sell, there will
be transaction costs. If you rent, there will be property management
costs, either in time or money. Look at the big picture.