Arthur A.
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Where to invest 100k?

Arthur A.
  • Chicago, IL
Posted Apr 19 2014, 20:59

I have 100k to invest, and the following is how my money is currently invested:

• 25k in retirement plans (12.5k in low-fee mutual fund and 12.5k Roth IRA - blue-chip company)
  • 25k in stocks - all blue-chip stocks that yield at least 3% dividend
  • 50k in cash

As for my current situation, I am a 27 year old single male. I am currently living in a garden unit of a three-flat my parents own and pay $300 a month in rent and help out around the house. I have paid off all my schooling (undergrad and grad) and also have my CPA. My car is paid off and I have no credit card debt; my salary is at 80k, and will be increasing substantially in the next few years and will be at 6 figures within the next 5 years. I am taking advantage of 401k, the company matches 6%, and gives an additional 2% at the end of the year, so 14% of my salary annually goes into the plan.

The 100k I currently have will be growing quite a bit now that I have my car and grad school paid off, and I expect to save an additional 35k yearly on my current salary.

In terms of my outlook, I am looking to have my money grow, and since I am single, I'm not looking to invest in a single family home and put most of my time into maintaining it. My parents own a three-flat and I know how much work that takes, especially being a landlord and having to deal with tenants. I am just looking to diversify as most of my savings are in blue-chip stocks that have performed well, but I don't want this to be my entire portfolio. I haven't considered other investment options besides stocks and multi-family rentals, mainly because I'm not sure where I would even start looking.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Loading replies...