Books And Videos To Study?

10 Replies

I'm looking for any recommended reading materials or Training videos that I should start off with?(trying to get into wholesaling) I've gone to Barnes&Noble and never really find anything there.

I just recently bought Texas Real Estate Principles 1&2, I want to know if its a good place to put my focus right now or if it's not necessary for me to read?

Jay, I've just started out myself, so new I'm like you. Myself and probably everyone here would recommend:

1. "Ultimate Beginners Guide To Real Estate Investing" - it's here on BP you can download, or read online.

2. Starting All Over - about what to do differently. A new release on BP.

Of course the file section of BP is full of excellent things to study and I'm sure some of the more experienced folks will be answering you too.

Hey, good luck up in Houston... from down in the Valley!

Jay

Here's a link to the BiggerPockets definitive guide to wholesaling, it contains tons of great information

There's a whole subsection on BP forum just for wholesaling, you can find that here. It is jam packed with great discussions, info and great people with all ranges of wholesaling experience

Here are some links to some BiggerPockets podcasts with experienced wholesalers, all of these are great podcasts that I have listened to more than once

BP Podcast 012 : Wholesaling and Marketing with Sharon Vornholt

BP Podcast 021 – Marketing Like a Pro with Wholesaler, Jerry Puckett

BP Podcast 067: Overcoming Inaction, Direct Mail, and Becoming an Successful Wholesaler with Tim Gordon

BP Podcast 037: Full Time Income, Part Time Lifestyle Real Estate Investing with Aaron Mazzrillo

@Jay Lozano

Welcome. Fill in the foundation below.

Check out the Start Here page http://www.biggerpockets.com/starthere

Check out BiggerPockets Ultimate Beginner's Guide - A fantastic free book that walks through many of the key topics of real estate investing.

Check out the free BiggerPockets Podcast - A weekly podcast with interviews and a ton of great advice. And you get the benefit of having 60 past ones to catch up on.

Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and rehabbers.

Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses,The Book on Estimating ReHab Costshttp://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

Couple great reads

Download BP’s newest book here some good due diligence in Chapter 10. Real Estate Rewind Starting over

http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/brandonatbp/file/real-estate-rewind-a-biggerpockets-community-book

Good Luck

Paul

@Jay Lozano getting educated is the first step! I am not familiar with those books specifically. They sound to me like books you would need if you were trying to become a realtor. If they are, you will probably be bored to death reading them! You most likely will not find the information you are looking for in that type of book. I would stick to searching the forums on BP and setting up your keyword alerts for wholesaling. Start with "Texas wholesale" or just "wholesale" Read as much as you can until you understand the process. Then if you have a question about a component, modify your keyword alerts or post a question. Examples for good keywords might be: "marketing" "bandit signs" "yellowletter" "assignment" "double close" "making offers" "calculating ARV" "calculating MAO" "negotiating." I think you get the idea. I learned a ton from podcasts and BP has some great ones! Dig in and don't be afraid to give it shot and learn as you go. Fake it till you make it!!

Good Luck!!!

@Robert W. Jay, I've just started out myself, so new I'm like you. Myself and probably everyone here would recommend:

1. "Ultimate Beginners Guide To Real Estate Investing" - it's here on BP you can download, or read online.

2. Starting All Over - about what to do differently. A new release on BP.

Of course the file section of BP is full of excellent things to study and I'm sure some of the more experienced folks will be answering you too.

Hey, good luck up in Houston... from down in the Valley!

thank you for the info man!

@Zaid R. Jay

Here's a link to the BiggerPockets definitive guide to wholesaling, it contains tons of great information

There's a whole subsection on BP forum just for wholesaling, you can find that here. It is jam packed with great discussions, info and great people with all ranges of wholesaling experience

Here are some links to some BiggerPockets podcasts with experienced wholesalers, all of these are great podcasts that I have listened to more than once.

Thank you for the info ill look into it!

Account Closed @Jay Lozano

Welcome. Fill in the foundation below.

Check out the Start Here page http://www.biggerpockets.com/starthere

Check out BiggerPockets Ultimate Beginner's Guide - A fantastic free book that walks through many of the key topics of real estate investing.

Check out the free BiggerPockets Podcast - A weekly podcast with interviews and a ton of great advice. And you get the benefit of having 60 past ones to catch up on.

Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and rehabbers.

Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses,The Book on Estimating ReHab Costshttp://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

Couple great reads

Download BP’s newest book here some good due diligence in Chapter 10. Real Estate Rewind Starting over

http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/brandonatbp/file/real-estate-rewind-a-biggerpockets-community-book

Good Luck

Paul

Thank you ill check all that out!

@Joe DiGirolamo getting educated is the first step! I am not familiar with those books specifically. They sound to me like books you would need if you were trying to become a realtor. If they are, you will probably be bored to death reading them! You most likely will not find the information you are looking for in that type of book. I would stick to searching the forums on BP and setting up your keyword alerts for wholesaling. Start with "Texas wholesale" or just "wholesale" Read as much as you can until you understand the process. Then if you have a question about a component, modify your keyword alerts or post a question. Examples for good keywords might be: "marketing" "bandit signs" "yellowletter" "assignment" "double close" "making offers" "calculating ARV" "calculating MAO" "negotiating." I think you get the idea. I learned a ton from podcasts and BP has some great ones! Dig in and don't be afraid to give it shot and learn as you go. Fake it till you make it!!

Good Luck!!!

Thank you man! you're not kidding this books is horrible to read haha I feel like I'm in highschool again! Ill try the tips you gave, I appreciate it!

@Robert W.

@Jay Lozano

Just a heads up there is a Texas Expo happening in San Antonio on May 31st. I believe it is Free to attend. There is really no high pressure selling from the front of the room several guest speakers etc.

You may want to check it out. www.texasexpo.com

thanks... !!!

@Jay Lozano Reading @Andrew Cordle 's post reminded me of a GREAT resource that I didn't mention. You should start attending your local REIA! That is a great place to find out what the rules are for your state and start building your team. They will know which title company's or attorney's are investor friendly (I don't know how you you close in Texas). There will be other wholesalers there to network with. You may be able to JV with one of them on the first deal or till you get more confident. If you get a lead, find someone with experience, share the deal. Doing deals the right way from the start and successfully closing the transaction to me is worth it. It's also a good place to find rehabbers aka cash buyers. My local REIA lets you post deals and there is a deal review table to help new investors. You can probably pick up a good investor friendly realtor too. You will need one to help you with comps.

Thanks for the vote and good luck!!!

@Joe DiGirolamo Reading @Andrew Cordle 's post reminded me of a GREAT resource that I didn't mention. You should start attending your local REIA! That is a great place to find out what the rules are for your state and start building your team. They will know which title company's or attorney's are investor friendly (I don't know how you you close in Texas). There will be other wholesalers there to network with. You may be able to JV with one of them on the first deal or till you get more confident. If you get a lead, find someone with experience, share the deal. Doing deals the right way from the start and successfully closing the transaction to me is worth it. It's also a good place to find rehabbers aka cash buyers. My local REIA lets you post deals and there is a deal review table to help new investors. You can probably pick up a good investor friendly realtor too. You will need one to help you with comps.

Thanks for the vote and good luck!!!

Awesome man!! I'm going to see when the next on is happening!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here