How long are you a newbie?

9 Replies

As I was going through my alerts today I began wondering, at what point are you no longer a newbie? I tried to search this and nothing came up. Thanks in advance.

Newbie is a state of mind. When you believe you are no longer a newbie, then you become whatever comes after newbie I guess.

Honestly after 5 deals I consider myself a newbie every time I come on this site. I am ALWAYS learning something since this industry is always growing and changing.

@Kenneth B.  

You decide. Perhaps when you are comfortable you know what you are doing.

Paul

1) When you can draw from past transactions to project the success of ongoing projects.

2) When you can confidently go into a transaction when 9 other ppl  (not involved in RE) are telling you that you are crazy.

That is where I will consider myself a full fledged "investor" by all rights :)

Sebastian

300+ purchases later and I'm still learning and a newbie in a lot of areas.

You're still a newbie when you start two threads for the same topic :)

In many professions 10 years or 10,000 hours of experience and you are considered an expert. The real estate game is probably the same or more.

thanks,

Matt

Thanks everyone for the responses. I guess I needed to be assured that the newbie status can be carried for a while.

@Steve Babiak  - Did I do that? Trying to use the phone version of the site.

@Sebastian Baker  - I am looking at a property that fits in #2. A couple people (including the wife) think I need my head examined. 

Nothing wrong with being a newbie. Just continue to educate yourself and network with other investors.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.