• Investor
  • Antelope, CA
Votes |
What to expect from a mentor

Tyler Haskell
  • Investor
  • Antelope, CA
Posted Aug 5 2014, 13:34

So as a new investor I managed to pester a local investor to the point that he has agreed to meet with me over coffee to discuss REI. I called this individual because I noticed his bandit signs all over the Sacramento area. He was very friendly and said that even though he was busy, he is always receptive to speaking with another investor.

I get this the feeling that this guy has a rather large operation going based on this information: He keeps saying "we" and I am pretty sure it is a syndication of investors. He also stated that they buy houses to fix and flip with cash, and purchase in all of Northern California and most of the bay area. He also stated that he was in the process of selling two other businesses he owns to fix and flip full time, indicating that he is doing well. My question is this:

When I meet this guy, what can I reasonably expect? Ideally I am looking for a mentor who doesnt mind me shadowing him, and maybe would take me on as an investor, bird dogger, or even a future partner. But really why would this guy do that? He obviously doesn't need additional financing, he obviously knows what he is doing and is doing well, and I could not really teach him anything about REI. I really am the one seeking knowledge and experience through him.

I am thinking of asking him general questions about the Sacramento area to help me with my buying criteria, and maybe some questions about how his direct marketing works. I also am thinking of asking him for mentorship, and in exchange I would offer to do some manual labor on some flips (I am a painter), and look for additional deals for his group in exchange for insight. Perhaps I can convince him to involve me in a future deal with him as well.

Let me know what you guys think!

Loading replies...