Looking for an insurance company that doesn't require it insure your primary

10 Replies

To maximize my savings for RE, I live with my parents. Unfortunately, many insurance companies require they insure both your primary and rental property. I found a company that can insure just the rental property, but I strongly suspect they are overcharging me.

Does anyone know other companies I can use

Thanks!

How much are they charging and what is the rebuild cost for the property? Most companies insure for rebuild cost but some will insure against how much is owed on the property.  I use usaa right now for my properties and they have been fairly reasonable.

I go to an insurance brokerage and they check out the rates of several companies before giving me a quote.  They know I will be getting a second quote and want my business.

State Farm has my rentals. Their claims process is smooth so I'm satisfied. Only downside is they don't give multiple policy discounts for rentals.

Could try:

The Massachusetts Property Insurance Underwriting Association (MPIUA)

www.mpiua.com

The top 25 Massachusetts home insurers based upon overall direct written premiums for calendar year 2012 are:
Allianz Insurance Group
New London County Group
American International Insurance Group
Norfolk & Dedham Group
Amica Mutual Group
Plymouth Rock Insurance Group
Andover Group
Preferred Mutual Insurance Company
Arbella Insurance Group
Providence Group
Barnstable Group
Quincy Mutual Group
Chubb & Son Group Inc. Group
Safety Group
(The) Hanover Insurance Group
Tower Group
Liberty Mutual Group
Travelers Group
Main Street American Group
Union Mutual Fire Insurance Group
Mapfre Insurance Group
United Services Automobile Association Group
Metropolitan Group
Vermont Mutual Group
NBIC Holdings Group

Also

http://www.mass.gov/ocabr/insurance/home-insurance/companies-issuing-10-or-more-home-insurance.html

This post has been removed.

Alex, just so you know, insurance on rentals is higher than homeowner insurance, so don't assume that because it is higher than your parents' policy, that it is overcharging.  However, as @Steve Babiak referred you, nreinsurance.com specializes in real estate investors.  

@Alex Silang   There are HomeOwner (Primary) policies and Fire (Investment) policies. You can check out Mario Vargas in Dorchester, he spoke at a recent meeting of ours and still has a banner on our site (link below in signature).

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you