To business card or not to business card

12 Replies

Hi,

I am a noob at investing and will be attending RE meetups in my area as soon as I can. Since I have no experience and don't have an LLC or other business entity already setup, the only business cards I have are from my full-time job. Which is more lame? 1) No business cards, 2) business cards made up that say something like "real estate investor" making me possibly look like a wannabe or 3) use my existing business cards until I get some deals under my belt and get the entity set up. Thanks!

Even though you are new and have no deals done yet you need to start seeing yourself as an investor.  The other people wont care if your new, we all started somewhere!!!  Try to make your card a little different then the rest.  Here is a good and funny video about business cards!!!!   Im not saying you need to go this extreme yet as this guys card cost $5.00 each to make!!!  enjoy!!

Watch Here

@Glen Underwood  

You don't have to have a title that says "real estate investor" or anything else. Just have a clean card that says your name and contact info. There are plenty of templates at cheap places like Vistaprint.com that allows you to get cards for $10. Please make an investment in yourself of at least $10 to have an easy way to network.

Business cards are important! For myself, they have been the cheapest and most effective form of marketing. 

A lot of newbies put way too much time and effort into "setting up their business".  Go to Vistaprint or something similar and buy yourself a set of 500.

Your business name can be something like - Golden State REI, or Underwood Investing.

Your card should also say, "I BUY HOUSES".

Now, get-r-done.

Don't have a business card that doesn't let people know what you do, period and name and contact numbers only is a bad choice. You don't have to have it as a title but if someone were to pick up your card off the street they should know your name, what you do, and where to contact you. 

Don't waste the back, my early cards said " This card is worth $500 to you, if you do business with me, refer someone to me that does business with me, or provide me with a lead that does business with me, this card will be worth $500.

You need a business card, as others have stated just go to vista print and make one.

I am a buy and hold investor, whenever I meet a neighbor at a new (or old) house of mine I give them my card and tell them to give me a call if they see anything i would want to know about at the rental,,,they like the idea they can contact the owner, and I (sometimes) find out about a problem before it becomes a big issue

Obviously you will use them at REI meetings etc,,give them to anyone that will stand still long enough for you to hand them one,,,I've been in sales my entire life, I always say if someone throws my card away often enough they will remember me

Originally posted by @Andy Collins :

You need a business card, as others have stated just go to vista print and make one.

I am a buy and hold investor, whenever I meet a neighbor at a new (or old) house of mine I give them my card and tell them to give me a call if they see anything i would want to know about at the rental,,,they like the idea they can contact the owner, and I (sometimes) find out about a problem before it becomes a big issue

Obviously you will use them at REI meetings etc,,give them to anyone that will stand still long enough for you to hand them one,,,I've been in sales my entire life, I always say if someone throws my card away often enough they will remember me

This is hilarious! On the other side of it, I don't get to know people until I have collected at least 3 of their cards!

I had poker chips printed to use as business cards. Best idea I have ever used to market my business. Dave Short

You need a Real Estate specific card that clearly displays your contact info.  Don't over think this.  Use your creativity to structure deals!

Originally posted by @David Short :

I had poker chips printed to use as business cards. Best idea I have ever used to market my business. Dave Short

I like the poker chip idea.  I've also seen a pack of business cards like a deck of cards

@Brian P.  

Adding that to the back of a Business card is a great idea... Would you mind if I use your phrase in my business cards?

Ricardo 

Feel free, one thing I also did with these cards was to carry a jar of rubber cement and and put a dab on one side and posted them places, eg by gas pumps when I was getting gas. 

I found showing the $500 reward side worked pretty good over time. I always tipped well and you can be sure I left my card with the tip. I would often make a note on the card saying great service and some custom comment like I hope we get you next time we come in, etc.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.