What about plumbing,gas, construction...

4 Replies

Hello to all BP members,

I'm a young college student, planning on starting as real estate investor this summer.Tonight I have a question about flipping. Every time I watch the shows and read blogs about flipping most of them talk about how they change the kitchen cabinets, completely renovated the bathroom, new floors, fresh painted walls. However, not many are talking about checking if gas is working properly, if plumbing is connected in the right way, if house is stable and it would actually be good house for many years to come for someone who is spending everything they have on our flip house.

I apologize if this question is too basic, but I just don't see flippers deal with this a lot and I believe this should be a first thing they should be fixing and checking. Maybe I'm missing out big time.

Let me know.

whenever an kitchen or bathroom is remolding it always involves plumbing. Drains, vents, water must all be checked prior to completing the renovation. My plumbers always check to make sure gas is not leaking. TV shows only show you what the audience wants to see. Drama and suspense 

I would say hiring a good inspector is probably your best bet starting out. He'll point out any defects in the foundation, plumbing, furnace, AC. Although after I got a few deals under my belt I started to feel more comfortable picking out defects myself. I'll still call a friend every once in a while if I want a 2nd opinion. You'll learn as you go.

@Steve Yoo  that is very true, I believe that's also wrong because they show it like it's the easiest thing to flip the house, but they don't show the parts when it gets ugly.

@Bradley Gibson thank you for the great advice. I'm just curious here, how much do they usually charge?

@Account Closed hello. Yea, there is probably nothing to sexy about plumbing and gas issues to the general public that turn the television show on. I'm sure they filmed the problems but a producer decided it wasn't worth airing it and cut it out. At the end of the day, it's entertainment - they want to expand your horizon and be a dreamer; its sales baby. They rather you see all the other "fancy" stuff and grab your attention that way.
Your damn right flippers, or anyone for that matter, run into this kind of stuff. It's just apart of the business.
Good luck to you.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here