New to the scene

5 Replies

Hey fellow BP'ers, Im a newbie to real estate in Richmond, Virginia. I want to get involved in real estate, but I do not have a lot of start up money to invest. Any suggestions on how to get into the market? Thanks!

Hey Jim!

Welcome to bigger pockets! Not having enough funding for a project is one of the biggest hurdles for new real estate investors. As you may already know or will come to learn, real estate investing is a lot of handling other peoples money. One of the best ways I have found to fund projects is through private money lenders. There are tons of people out there who have boat loads of cash, sitting in a bank depreciating. Instead, you can offer them a great way to get a return on their money. The hard part is finding these private money lenders. Recently I listed to a podcast that covered this topic in detail. I would recommend you listen to it. Hope this helps!

http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2015/01/22...

Rob

Hi @JIm Simmons  

Welcome to the site from the west end! I would also check out the Bigger Pockets book on low/no money down investing. I believe you can find it under the resources tab under "store". Haven't read the book yet, but I've listened to all the BP podcasts and the guys do a great job gathering info and relaying it in an easy to digest for beginners fashion. Best of luck and feel free to reach out and talk shop!

Jon Deavers, Real Estate Agent in VA (#0225213131)
804-601-6363

I almost forgot! 

Jon has a good point, Brandon Turner just wrote a book on this topic. Check it out!

Rob

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.