Let's read and dsicuss "Flip: How to Find, Fix, and Sell Houses for Profit"

10 Replies

For those who are starting out, the right information on how to go about doing something is critical.  The book I'm currently reading is called: Flip: How to Find, Fix and Sell Houses for Profit" by Rick Villani, Clay Davis, Gary Keller a description of which can be found at

BarnesandNoble

Anyone who wishes to read along and discuss, I'm open to it!

RJ Reynolds, Real Estate Agent in MA (#111679)
617-969-0453

Great post RJ, thx!  What is your thought on most efficient way to 'find fix flip' with no money?

Great idea, but I'm reading a different flip book. :(

Originally posted by @Jonathan Key :

Great idea, but I'm reading a different flip book. :(

I hope it's a good one!  Enjoy and if/when you get around to FLIP, let me know what you think.

617-969-0453

Great idea RJ, I have it just hadn't read it but I will pick it up today...

What has been most impactful for you thus far?

Originally posted by @Travon Allender :

Great post RJ, thx!  What is your thought on most efficient way to 'find fix flip' with no money?

Thank you Travon. I'll be blunt, you can't fix and flip with NO money. The words sell books, courses, ideas and build dreams of wealth for those without means and that is a very good thing.  You need money, it just doesn't have to be yours.

Consider replacing the word MONEY with VALUE and think about the value you bring to a project.  Now sell that value to the money (investor) in order to pay for the project. First two steps are:

• Be a valuable asset to all that you meet, you never know when you will meet the money and it's good practice.
  • Have a solid business plan, utilizing the readily available resources such as public library, SBA and this website among others.

By the way, 'valuable' can be attained in a smile, kind word, or nice gesture. 

As for the 'find' part, that you can certainly do without money which is, I believe, why wholesaling is such a big topic.  As you drive to work, home, the grocery, evaluate each property with an eye toward how it appears in comparison to it's neighbor and what could be done to bring it 'up to snuff' if it's not.  Do your research to find non-owner occupied properties and make a point of driving by those.. are they occupied or not, run down or well kept. Clues can be found all around us.

and on and on it goes. Volumes of writing exist on these topics, knowing where and how to start, ah, now that is the question.  I'm reading FLIP, care to join me?

617-969-0453

Thanks RJ! I have to admit that since Ive made the move towards REI, wealth (information, people, ideas, good vibes, and clues) has revealed itself.

Your thoughtful, heartfelt,  and detailed explanation has also opened reasserted the investor - more importantly human and focus - in me. 

I will gladly read FLIP!  :)

RJ, Travon, when you going to start this readathon? I have a copy of the book that Red Dirt Lending (oklahoma hard $ lender) gave to me after a successfully completed flip. I could join you guys if Im not too far behind?

Fits and Starts reading it myself.  Please join in.  I've read parts of it in the past and am currently at the Stage One: Find pages right now.

One of the early keys I've seen is not 'reinventing the wheel' each time.  Go ahead and use a system created by and used successfully by others who have come before.  Sure markets shift and modifications to the system may be necessary at some point but a proven system can take alot of the fear & risk out of it.  It's non longer a 'gamble'.

617-969-0453

@RJ Reynolds Was wondering has the book turned out to be good? 

I admit it. I've had a complete breakdown in my plan to read this book.  Today I'm sitting down to schedule time to read, otherwise it just doesn't happen. The question is, will it happen if I schedule it?  YES

so I'll get back to ya'll after I've made more progress.

617-969-0453

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.