Importance of business cards and Contact Info

20 Replies

Hello, I'm a newbie just starting out (I haven't yet done a deal yet), looking to get into wholesaling single family homes. I was thinking about getting business cards, but I don't yet have a business name, LLC, website, and only have a cell phone as of right now.

Would it make sense to have all these listed above before I decide to get business cards? How much importance do you all feel it is to have business cards starting out?  Also, how are investors contacting clients? cell phone, house/business number? Just curious. 

@Krystle Little business cards are huge!  I would say not only as a way to represent your brand and stand out with customers but at the same time for networking with other investors.  It's seems like it would be difficult to be taken seriously when you can't provide a business card to other investors or a homeowner.

Most of the things above can be acquired for a reasonably low cost, I would encourage you to get those out of the way before starting business.

Hello @Derrick Strope , thanks for your response! Yes, I feel the same exact way. If you're trying to operate a business you should carry yourself in such manner. I'm going to a local real estate meeting soon and I don't yet have any business cards, but I didn't feel I had enough info to even put enough on there. Is an inadequate card better than none at all for the purpose of this meeting? I like to have it all together and not halfway completed, so if it's incomplete I'd rather not have them it all. I've looked into the LLC, still researching the website and it's not too costly, but I won't have that completed by then.

@Krystle Little

I would focus on getting these together first.

• Business name 
  • A contact number (google voice works)
  • An email address 

Once you have those, check out fiverr.com.  They have people there who will design logos for your business for 5 bucks.  Then you will have everything you need to make a business card.

You can also register your LLC with the state for little cost. I paid 19$ in Washington State just to get a UBI number and all that stuff. Later you can complete the rest as it comes to you.

A website is definitely good but can take some time depending on your experience with that stuff.  Not an immediate need.

@Krystle Little also you do not HAVE to register your business name to begin with. If you do contracts you can just use your name on the contract in the short term. Even with an LLC you will still be liable if you are the single owner of an LLC (from what I have read).

alright, I do believe I've heard that, but I'll double check on that information, thanks @Derrick Strope

You can have cards made before even thinking of a name for the LLC. Just make cards that say

Krystle buys houses!

Call Krystle @ 123-456-7890

Email [email protected]

Boom!  You're started.

I'm in the same boat... Brand new, want to get into flipping and rentals, but zero experience and in need of people to work with and learn from (Aside from all the reading I try to do). I also don't really have the money to "buy houses" and am afraid to present that in my cards to people when I don't even know really what I'm doing yet. I'll be attending REIA meetings soon also, but don't know what to do with this business card situation. Any more advice would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by @Andriana Babikian:

I'm in the same boat... Brand new, want to get into flipping and rentals, but zero experience and in need of people to work with and learn from (Aside from all the reading I try to do). I also don't really have the money to "buy houses" and am afraid to present that in my cards to people when I don't even know really what I'm doing yet. I'll be attending REIA meetings soon also, but don't know what to do with this business card situation. Any more advice would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to BP.

You will want to use the learning resources here on BP.Spend sometime listening to the podcasts. Questions like do you need money to buy RE like you asked,are answered.

Thanks! I have been on BP for almost a week straight now and don't plan to stop. Been reading blogs, forums, commenting, adding colleagues, etc. I'm also reading the beginners guide. I do want to create business cards so I can have something to hand out at REIA meetings (first meeting is April 1st!), but still don't know what info to include. Essentially, being so new, I would like to meet expert investors, work with them, help them find homes, help them rehab and flip homes, etc. but as I said... Still learning and need some experience. Any idea what I should put on the cards?

@Andriana Babikian Welcome.

Only one piece of advice I have  Do not ever put "Real Estate Investor" as a Title on a biz card!

Labels you as a newbie. Brokers will toss your Offers. Sharks will offer great JV opportunities;-( Just have your name and every way someone can get to you for that Killer Deal. I like Derricks google voice suggestion. The Bandit sign guys in our REIA use a Google #/voice so the authorities can't trace and find them;-)

Best card I've heard of was Jonathan Goldsmith, the most interesting man (Dos XX beer)

His business card simply says "I'll call you."

Hi @Andriana Babikian!

Welcome to Biggerpockets!

Wishing you All the best on you real estate venture!

Thanks everyone! My only thing is, @Mike Hurney , is that I somewhat want some of the experts to know that I am new and "in training". Because essentially the first steps I'd like to take would be to work under investors and experts, and just learn while working for or with them. I don't want to give the wrong impression--that I have deals, or can find deals, etc--when frankly I am so darn new I barely know how to do that. Hmmmm...

From a newbie to others...I thought the same and said, nahhhh, I can wait for cards...Well, as soon as you open your mouth about your motives, you will be asked for a card...I ended up giving a business card from my day job and it didn't look so good...So the next day I setup my name, website and business cards are in the mail now....I didn't think it was a big deal until it was a big deal...grab some cards, even if they don't have much info on them, it's enough to let people get in touch with you!

@Mike Hurney I didn't even think of your comment about putting RE Investor on the cards...dohh...Great point!  Glad I only got 100 of them......  

Will have to rethink my approach.

Johnny

Hi @Krystle Little

and @Andriana Babikian

Welcome to BP! If you're not sure about your cards get the least amount you can for the least expensive price. This way you'll appear professional now and by the time you run out you'll know exactly what you want on your card.

Best wishes to you ladies! :-)

@Johnny Kula Hey Buddy, at least you're moving ahead!

What's the most important thing on the card?

Phone and email! That should be the largest font...

@Andriana Babikian

"I don't want to give the wrong impression--that I have deals, or can find deals, etc--when frankly I am so darn new I barely know how to do that. Hmmmm..."

Trust me, we know;-)

@Mike Hurney thanks for the great pointer!  I'll be sure to fix it up for the next batch :)  These ones will hopefully go before the ink dries ;)

Hi and from one newbie to another I want to encourage you to get some business cards as soon as you can. I like you an absorbing all I can to be educated before I make my first deal. I attended my first REI group meeting last Wed and before I did just printed some business cards in my inkjet. I bought some blank Avery cards from staples and went to their site and used their template to put my name phone number and email address. I had already decided on a business name as I have been think about doing this for years. So I added that. And that was it.

My first hello was someone asking me for my business card. I was very nervous walking into that room with all those accomplished and long time experts but they were so welcoming and I was so glad I had done my cards! I gave 5 out. And got 10.

Just a blurb about the Avery cards. The linen ones look as good or better than my "day job" business cards and I work for a multi national multi billion dollar company. Also if I want to make changes as I learn and grow I haven't spent money on cards I can no longer use. I'm just printing 20 at a time.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you