Skip to content
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Greg Baker
  • Rochester, NY
Votes |
Certificate of Occupancy - Certified Lead Paint Inspector and Work?

Greg Baker
  • Rochester, NY
Posted Apr 2 2015, 12:15

Recently purchased a SFH in Rochester, NY to convert into a rental. We applied for the certificate of occupancy and got flagged in nearly every single room for the WINDOW SILL/SASH with the following code violation:

The interior was found to contain protective covered surfaces in a state of deterioration in excess of more than ten percent of the identified building component with a small surface area.  In order to have this violation removed, you must submit a clearance certificate from a Certified Lead Inspector or Risk Assessor, certifying that the unit is lead safe, as per section 90-56 of the City Code, and complete and return the attached Lead Ordinance Compliance Affidavit.

Now the kicker, it also says, "You or your agent are required to complete a certified lead safe work practice training course prior to conducting any lead paint reduction activity."  Furthermore, "Entities conducting clearance inspections must be independent from those performing hazard reduction or maintenance activities."  We called regarding a class to certify lead safe work practices and they have one in late April but it's full.

What are my options here?  When I called the inspector she said I can simply replace all of the windows in the house!!  Ya, right...Can I really NOT scrape and re-paint the windows?  For Rochester based investors, who have you used to scape/re-paint and then who have you used for certification purposes?

Thanks....

Loading replies...