Skip to content
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Geoffrey W.
  • Investor
  • Denton, TX
Votes |
How can I help other investors in TX legally without a license?

Geoffrey W.
  • Investor
  • Denton, TX
Posted Jun 5 2015, 14:42

I live in Denton, TX (the north side of the Dallas / Fort Worth area). From recent podcasts (Show124 and Show125), I got the great idea of asking local investors if I could learn the ropes by being their property manager or an assistant. That is, if they're ok with me doing it part-time/as needed since I have a full-time job. I would offer to do it at a reduced rate, of course (hopefully not for free forever at least).

Mainly, I want to learn from an experienced investor and make a little money to build my capital for my own investing (and pay off debt to be honest). I've failed 4 times (2 HUD flips, 2 rentals) when trying to invest on my own so far so I need to take a different approach...plus those failures drained my self-directed IRA of pretty much all capital so I'm starting over - not unlike the student in The Richest Man in Babylon. (ah, the lessons learned from failure...)

Question 1 - What can an unlicensed person do as far as property management goes? I saw the TX Real Estate Commission guidelines for unlicensed assistants, but what activities would be helpful for investors that I could really do legally?

Question 2 - What are people paying for property management in DFW for SFR, multifamily, and small apartment buildings?

Question 3 - Are birddogging and wholesaling legal in Texas without a license?

Question 4 - Is it helpful if I go check out properties for other investors who are busy or out of area?  Not birddogging, but if they might want to offer on something and don't have time to drive there, take pictures, etc.

Primary goals - building capital, learning the smart way to invest from a master ( I already know stupid as Michael Gerber put it).  Any other ideas?

Loading replies...