Investing with a Partner: How to Get Started

3 Replies

Ok so I have a more practical question about how the deal is actually set up. I have a partner I want to invest with. What's the best way to buy/set up the deal. Assuming 50/50 cash contribution and split of profits/losses. 

Do we buy a property jointly? Can only one person get the mortgage? How does the other contribute.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Not legal advice, but look into using an LLC. A Limited Liability Company allows profit and loss percentages, as well as equity, allocated to each partner. See Form K-1 1065 filing

The downside I that if you want to finance your acquisition, it is more difficult to get traditional (read as government subsidized) loans.

Hi @Molly Mathias

Note: Not a legal advice. Please do your own due diligence  

BP Resource: BP Podcast 109

There are multiple ways on how you can structure the deal. Two common ways to do are listed below. 

Buy Jointly:

Both you and your business partner would apply for the loan (if applicable) and will take title of the property in both your names. Doing this will show the property as a liability under both your credit reports. There are pros and cons of doing this..High level Pros - lower interest rates, more financing options, easier in the short run. High Level Cons - Assuming you plan on buying more you won't qualify for more loans as the banks will look at your DTI (Debt to Income) and if your Debt is higher it might impact your purchasing capacity to buy additional investment properties. You can also have one person apply for the loan and other person brings their portion to the closing table and have a second lien position on the property or use a promissory note

Buy Under an Entity

You and your business partner can setup an entity (costs ~$300 -$650 assuming normal scenario). You create an operational agreement (please have a licensed attorney) review your operational agreement. You can assign shares or allocate ownership. There are Pros and Cons to this approach. High Level Pros - risk mitigation (in some form) people can still sue you if they want but it comes down to asset protection (personal vs. business), you can buy multiple properties under "commercial"/small business loan i.e. under an entity where you and your partner promise to pay the loan/meet obligations. High level Cons - not many banks provide loans under an LLC, interest rates are 1%-2% higher than your traditional rates. Depending on the property $ amount you may get a fixed loan or a balloon.

Hope this helps! Good Luck and wish you much success 

This is an interesting topic for me, too, because I am starting a flip with a partner, but the structure of our deal is that I am going to be the owner and I am signing the note for the property. 

I am wondering how this will work out at the end of the deal as far as returning investment funds and profit allocated. I obviously can't claim all the profit, but it would be there under my business and my accounts. We probably will form an LLC if we continue working together, but it's our first project and we're trying to keep it simple for now.

I know the short answer is, "talk to your accountant", and no doubt that I am planning to take my project spreadsheet to the accountant and say, "here's what I did, how do we handle this?", but I'm hoping to get some general idea about how that will work out just so I know what to expect before I get to that step.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.