How should I get started?

3 Replies

Hey BP!

I am mapping out my plan to get started in real estate by flipping a property or buy and hold. I am still doing research every day and will decide which one I will do based on the best deal I can find. My goal is to buy a house in 2016. I have bad credit and not a lot of cash, so I will be trying to fix my credit and save as much money as possible. However, I was wondering should I pay off my car (19,000) or just save money to buy a house?

I know paying off my car will help my credit but if I save up that money I could use that money to help buy a house. I need advice. 

Go get a professional credit rebuilder to help! I wouldn't pay off the car personally, but I'm not an expert either

Welcome Byron! 

It's good to hear that you have a goal! That's always the first step. As for rebuilding your credit. It sounds like you have some credit history already being built with your car. I'm wouldn't change anything there except keep making the payments. Outside of that I would make yourself a budget and stick to it. I don't know what has brought about your "bad" credit but the majority of the time sticking to a stick budget will fix the issue. 

Welcome to the site!

I am on a budget and I've been building my credit back up (old college credit cards had been dragging it down). I've fixed all of those credit cards and I'm almost finished paying them down. Thanks for the advice! @Kyle Penland @Josh V.  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you