Termites are common in most homes true or false

7 Replies

Read an article by zillow link posted at the bottom which basically says termites are in every home  and very common wondering how true or false these testimonies are

http://www.zillow.com/advice-thread/Should-we-Buy-a-Home-with-Evidence-of-Termites/353574/

I lived in Massachusetts for 21 years and didn't know termites existed outside of cartoons. I moved to California and I would agree that every home has the potential for termite infestation. Most properties I buy have some damage, but it is typically less that $1,000. 

By the way, tenting a house is a completed scam and I will never pay for it. Not even on any retail flips I do. Never let a termite company tell you the house has to be tented. Get yourself a new pest inspector.

It depends on what part of the country you're in. I can only speak for Florida and yes, they are extremely common. They love the humidity and warm weather down here.

@Jacob Beard Was the article on Zillow about termites authored by the National Pest Contractors Association?

Were there many ads for Pest Control Contractors at the end of the article?

@Aaron Mazzrillo

". Most properties I buy have some damage, but it is typically less that $1,000. "

I agree and believe a good termite control company can get rid of them and suggest changes to prevent their return e.g. remove rotting wood & fix any leaks.

A termite guy told me that in California there is 1,000,000 termites in every square acre of dirt.   He sounded convincing.  

Frank

Frank Romine, Real Estate Agent in CA (#01957844)

Termites are treatable and preventable. Property inspections are hard to get because the guy inspecting makes more money if he finds termites,

Zillow sells leads for a living.....

Originally posted by @Frank R.:

A termite guy told me that in California there is 1,000,000 termites in every square acre of dirt.   He sounded convincing.  

There very well may be, but as long as they are not in every square foot of my house, I'm not going to worry about it! LOL

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you