203k loan

7 Replies

I've seen a number of posts regarding a 203k loan. What is a 203k loan.

A 203k loan is essentially financing for the purchase of a home and the required rehab to bring it up to snuff.  

Here's the official description: Section 203(k) insurance enables homebuyers and homeowners to finance both the purchase (or refinancing) of a house and the cost of its rehabilitation through a single mortgage or to finance the rehabilitation of their existing home."

Check the HUD site for more information:

http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/program_offices/housing/sfh/203k/203k--df

@Patricia Gemming  203k is a FHA rehab loan, where you borrow money to buy a property that needs some work and also borrow money to get the work done by licensed contractors. NO, you can't do the work yourself using a 203k.

Upen Patel, Mortgage Banker
Federal NMLS# 1374243

Thanks Upen. Is the property and rehab both under the 203k loan? It sounds like it would be two different loan streams. Does it only cover a percentage of the property and or rehab loan? 

Thanks Douglas. Your explanation is very clear. I will  definitely read the information on the link you include it. 

Thanks for the info @Douglas Procunier and @Upen Patel . I read the information on the FHA website but couldn't find any information about any occupancy requirements. Aren't borrowers supposed to live in the property? And if so, is a year enough or do they have to reside in the property until the loan is paid off?

Originally posted by @Miguel M. :

Thanks for the info @Douglas Procunier and @Upen Patel. I read the information on the FHA website but couldn't find any information about any occupancy requirements. Aren't borrowers supposed to live in the property? And if so, is a year enough or do they have to reside in the property until the loan is paid off?

1 yr is the owner occupancy requirement.

Upen Patel, Mortgage Banker

Federal NMLS# 1374243

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.