We have an investor! ...Now what?

We have an investor! ...Now what?

Stephanie JacobsonBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Ithaca, NY · Member since 2016 · 427 posts · 323 votes

Hi all!

So my husband Chad and I are a design/renovation team and I am very near the end of my licensing course to become a real estate agent in New York, and I've have accepted a position with Century 21. We are looking to flip a property near Ithaca, NY, in the Finger Lakes region.

One of my husband's clients, "John", is a real estate investor (he deals with higher end rentals near Cornell University and Ithaca College) and has seen the work we do. He likes us a lot, and has decided he would like to fund 100% of a flip with us. The deal we last discussed over coffee is that he will bring every cent needed to purchase and renovate a house, and will take 2/3 of the profit at the end. We will take 1/3. He is willing to allow us to draw payments throughout the flip so my husband doesn't need to work at other job sites and can focus all of his time on the house we buy, and he wants us to take that amount out of our share at the end. He wants the house to be in all three of our names.

We're looking to do something simple to start, and our ideal budget would be under $175k for the purchase and renovation. Hoping to sell upwards of $225k (shouldn't be too hard in our region).

John is also interested in starting an LLC with us after this first flip and building a business doing this together.

So Chad and I were thinking the split seems a bit high in his favor. Yes, he's coming up with ALL the money (hallelujah) but we are doing ALL the work, but not just as your run-of-the-mill contractors. We'll be overseeing all work done, doing a huge amount of ourselves, researching materials, designing, staging, etc.. John wants absolutely nothing to do with the rehab, and wants us to manage everything from finding the property to running the numbers to marketing and selling afterwards.

I'm confused about the role of an investor in this case. Is John more like a bank? or is it that he owns this house like a business and we're his employees? An attorney I talked to today was confused about why he's giving us a cut at all. (She was a real estate attorney but admitted she knew little about flipping.) On the other hand, a friend of mine who started with very little renovation experience acts as the GC on her flips and treats her investors strictly as lenders, and has done very well so far.

My feeling is that I would be alright with taking 1/3 on our first deal with John, but only if the cost of my husband overseeing and performing all work goes into John's renovation costs rather than coming out of our share at the end.

What do you guys think? Are my desires reasonable? If so, how do I present my case to John?

0Reply
8 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Contractor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 97 posts · 38 votes
    10y

    I would say your desires are completely reasonable. He's asking for a little too much from this deal.  I've heard of this situation where the investor asks for half, but not 2/3 of the profit.  In the cases I've seen, your husband's time working on the property is simply your end of the investment that offsets John's investment in cash. 

    Good luck with that.

    Patrick

  • Real Estate Agent · Bronx, NY · Member since 2015 · 211 posts · 88 votes
    10y

    Hi Stephanie, it sounds like you need the experience and have a way to get it with no risk to you. I would take the deal and at the end evaluate how good a deal it was. If John wants to do another you now have more experience and leverage to negotiate a better deal. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Monterey Park, CA · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Stephanie,

    I agree with George.  If you have someone willing to take all the financial risk and put up all the money go for it.  Rather than "contract" out to you to do the work, your payment comes at the end for 33% of the profits.  You need to determine if the amount of profits is worth all the work.  If the first one works out well, you can always renegotiate the next one.  I would make sure any contracts are written on a house by house basis.  

    I am also assuming that you have some experience in working with sub contractors and city inspection personnel.   The worst possible scenario is to get in over your heads and then realize that cost overruns are eating up all of your profit.

    Stan

  • Stephanie JacobsonBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Ithaca, NY · Member since 2016 · 427 posts · 323 votes
    10y

    Thanks everyone!

    I like the idea of our time being equal to John's investment, but I'm not sure if we're going to match that value on this first flip. We're very experienced in renovation but the real estate side is all new to us. I'll hold on to that fact for the next one, but this time I'm okay with accepting less profit here so we can learn.

    How many times in life are you actually paid to learn something valuable, right?

    It just seems like the etiquette of dealing with investors is all over the map. I often hear the argument about how investing in the stock market will ideally get you 15% after a certain number of years, and anything over that or faster is an awesome deal. Comparing to that, this split seems waayyy too high for our investor. But if we can get him on the hook to do a few more, we'll be in a good position down the road whether he makes "too much" money or not.

    So if we agree to have draws for our labor throughout the project and have that come out of our third at the end, what happens if we make more from the draws than our share at the sale? Should be prepare something in the contract stating we don't have to pay him back? Or should we pay him back? Ideally that won't happen, but it's best to be prepared for everything, right?

  • Investor · Ithaca, NY · Member since 2016 · 30 posts · 12 votes
    10y

    Stephanie,

    I actually have done exactly what you have been talking about in the Ithaca area. I operate from Horseheads up through Syracuse. I actually run the Ithaca Real Estate Investment Education Meetup. I have partnered with several people and the ownership percentage is different with them all. They all also have separate LLC's underneath my Holding Company LLC. I bring the Service usually and I take 50% ownership as well as the managing partner. One of the main things to set up is your exit strategy (come up with 3).

    I'm actually looking at taking on a few more mentee's for RE investors. I also have my RE license and give local financial workshops monthly. I have possible answers for many of your questions but few of them actually have straight answers because of the different possible options that your trying to achieve. 

    Your more than welcome to call any time. 

    Jesse

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.