Pre-approval Package prior to LOI?

9 Replies

How do I go about getting a pre-approval?

I don’t have a property under contract yet, but the idea I had is to present a minimum performance scenario. Basically agreeing with a lender that, if I find a property that produces certain numbers or better, then they’ll fund the deal post a formal inspections.

My goal is to shorten my financing contingency, & be a more attractive first time buyer.

Thanks

J

You're mixing and matching 1-4 unit residential stuff with commercial real estate stuff.

Residential real estate doesn't use LOIs, and commercial real estate doesn't have preapprovals.

Providing a broker or seller with proof of funds and a pre qualification letter from a local lender greatly help getting a seller to take your offer seriously. Please note a letter from a local bank means way more than a letter from a mortgage broker. I recommend getting a letter from your current bank. If your current bank doesn't want to lend move your money to a new bank that wants to lend.

@chris_mason What about a pre-commitment to finance, if the projections are accurate or better?

Originally posted by @Jonathan Pluviose :

@chris_mason What about a pre-commitment to finance, if the projections are accurate or better?

MOST commercial lenders want a ratified contract before they are going to spend a lot of time on it.

Originally posted by @Chris Mason :

You're mixing and matching 1-4 unit residential stuff with commercial real estate stuff.

Residential real estate doesn't use LOIs, and commercial real estate doesn't have preapprovals.

That isn't exactly true . I have actually obtained a pre-approval letter from a commercial lender for a 10 unit multi-family that I was trying to buy a couple of months ago.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here