Recommend a Tax consultant or CPA

8 Replies

Hi everyone! Just relocated and are newbies in this as well. Working on getting our team together....looking for a good RE tax person in the Salt Lake City, UT area. Thank you in advance for any recommendations. Good luck to all

Jodi Kaili

Apparently no one is willing to recommend a good cpa in Utah? Wish I had one to recommend.

@Jodi Kaili @Josh E. I am meeting with a CPA from my MBA program to talk to him about some RE stuff. He has offices in Logan and Layton. A bit of a drive for you guys, but may be worth it if he is good. I know he has small business (LLC, LLP, etc.) experience, but not sure about RE. I will be meeting with him sometime in November. If he seems like he will be good, I will definitely let you guys know about him!

Brandon Norlund

Hey @Jodi Kaili and others.

You may want to list "Salt Lake City" as a keyword alert and see who the big players are in the area; network with them and ask them who they use as a CPA.

If you guys are still having troubles finding a local CPA - You may want to reach out to a CPA who works with clients remotely.

Did you have any tax questions for the time being?

Are you connected with any real estate agents? I think they should be the first set of people to add to your team.

Basit Siddiqi, CPA

@Josh E. Thanks for your reply! @Brandon Norlund That would be great! @Basit Siddiqi Will do the keyword alert as you suggested! Thank you for the offer regarding any tax questions also :) We are planning to attend the BP meetup here in SLC in a couple of weeks and will definitely be asking for recommendations there. I'm so grateful for this awesome online community. Thank you for your responses!

Jodi Kaili

You are looking for specific expertise.  What is the nature of your Real Estate engagement.  Are you flipping?  Multifamily?  Single family?  Building an Empire?

Internet search for Salt Lake County, Real Estate Accounting and Real Estate CPA , only turns up about three firms that actually have "Real Estate" in their name.  Lots of Firms list Real Estate along with 20 unrelated specialties...they are not likely to perform as well as a Firm that has your specific focus.

If you want to separate the wheat from the chaff...call and ask them to help you structure a real estate loan for the Small Business Administration (SBA).  If they ask you to come in to discuss details, they UNDERSTAND real estate!

You are looking for specific expertise?  What is the nature of your Real Estate engagement?  Are you flipping?  Multifamily?  Single family?  Building an Empire?

Internet search for Salt Lake County, Real Estate Accounting and Real Estate CPA , only turns up about three firms that actually have "Real Estate" in their name.  Lots of Firms list Real Estate along with 20 unrelated specialties...they are not likely to perform as well as a Firm that has your specific focus.

If you want to separate the wheat from the chaff...call and ask them to help you structure a real estate loan for the Small Business Administration (SBA).  If they ask you to come in to discuss details, they UNDERSTAND real estate!

@Jodi Kaili , sorry I am sooo late on this post.  You probably have found a good tax person by now, but if you haven't I use a guy that is very knowledgeable about real estate and does a good job for me.  His office is located in Lehi, Utah if that isn't too far for you.  I love him because I ask him questions all year long and he is always very quick to respond.  Message me if you are still looking and I will give you his name and number.

Amy Kendall, Real Estate Agent in UT (#6763564-SA00)

Thank you @Lynn Behm and @Amy Kendall ! I appreciate your help. I sent @Amy Kendall an invitation....yes, I would like your Tax guys info.

Jodi Kaili

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
              • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
              • Learn how to get started with or without money,
              • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
              • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.