Sell my single family to purchase a multifamily

3 Replies

Hi, 

I am new to Biggerpockets and Real Estate investing. I'm learning as much as I can right now on this site and reading books. I currently own a single family home that I bought in 2010. My Tenants pay $1500 and my mortgage is $1000. I want to starting investing in multifamily properties (I own one duplex that I live in and rent the other), so I am thinking of selling this home that I own $160,000. An identical home sold in the last 3 months in the area for $244,000. I would use this profit to purchase a multifamily property, that is a good deal of course. Any advice? is this a good move? 

@Nicole Collins just keep this mind as you search for your Multi-Unit / MF property . . . the  total gross rental income divided by the number of tenants / units = gross rental income per unit.  

The LESS UNITS you own, the less gross income you will also have if you lose a tenant, for whatever reasons.  

The MORE UNITS you own, the less losing a tenant will IMPACT your monthly gross income = BOTTOM LINE.

This post has been removed.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.