Sell my single family to purchase a multifamily

3 Replies

Hi, 

I am new to Biggerpockets and Real Estate investing. I'm learning as much as I can right now on this site and reading books. I currently own a single family home that I bought in 2010. My Tenants pay $1500 and my mortgage is $1000. I want to starting investing in multifamily properties (I own one duplex that I live in and rent the other), so I am thinking of selling this home that I own $160,000. An identical home sold in the last 3 months in the area for $244,000. I would use this profit to purchase a multifamily property, that is a good deal of course. Any advice? is this a good move? 

@Nicole Collins just keep this mind as you search for your Multi-Unit / MF property . . . the  total gross rental income divided by the number of tenants / units = gross rental income per unit.  

The LESS UNITS you own, the less gross income you will also have if you lose a tenant, for whatever reasons.  

The MORE UNITS you own, the less losing a tenant will IMPACT your monthly gross income = BOTTOM LINE.

This post has been removed.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here