Looking to break into real estate in Chicago

6 Replies

Hey Everyone,

I apologize in advance for the longer post.. I have been a member here for a little over a year now, but this is my first time posting. I am 25 years old, and I have spent the past couple of years reading/listening to everything I can get my hands on regarding real estate investing, and my day job is in finance so I am pretty comfortable with the pro-forma aspect of things. 

I have finally saved up enough money for my first purchase, and I am looking for a fix and flip somewhere in the chicagoland area (I currently live on the west side, so I am most familiar with opportunities in neighborhoods like Logan Square, Wicker Park/Bucktown, Hermosa, Avondale, etc., but I am also considering up and coming neighborhoods on the south side like Woodlawn and Bronzeville). 

I am definitely in the analysis-paralysis stage, as it seems daunting to just jump right into something like this alone (any time I see a potential deal I get caught up thinking, "what am i missing, why hasn't anyone else jumped on this?"), so I am curious--what events/associations are best to join in this area so that I can expand my network and find a potential partner or even a mentor? Should I just start reaching out to agents/wholesalers? any thoughts anyone has would be much appreciated, even if it is just words of encouragement from someone who recently overcame this position!!

Thanks!

I am active in/around Naperville area. There is a couple of opportunities I can share, PM if interested.

I do also heavily working on for short-term rental which is very promising for cash flow. 

@Rob Munnings

If your only looking to purchase in the city I know a few great realtors that have a knack for finding good deals on the Up and Coming SW side neighborhoods like you talked about. And a few that work on the North Side as well. 

Send me a PM if your looking to work with on market leads 

or just send me a text my cell is in signature 

Saw your title and had a little laugh. My first thought was you could use a crow bar to break into real estate.

Best of luck and welcome to BP.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.