New Investor Checklist for Multifamily Properties

2 Replies

Hello - 

I am looking to buy my first multifamily property and am narrowing down my choices. Is there a "checklist" of questions that I should be asking the brokers when i find a property i am interested in? What are the standard questions I need to have them answer? 

Any help is appreciated - thank you!

Chris Papa

Hello Chris. A few questions I want to know when looking a small MFRs:

- Current Rents vs. Market Rents; also, perform the market rents due diligence on your own; Realtors seem to overstate and don't just refer to a Zestimate; call a few units in your area and ask!

- Rent Roll History (looking for tenants paying on-time)

- Who pays for utilities (owner or tenant)? If Owner, grab a copy of the last 12 months of bills. 

- Who pays for lawncare?

- Sewer or Septic? If Septic, how old is the tank and can they provide proof of last being pumped?  Most County Health Depts have the install records online. 

- What does the current pay for insurance?

- What are the current taxes? Will this go up based on the purchase price?

I have a spreadsheet on my website you might be interested in acquiring. Go there and respond to the pop-up. Good luck!

much appreciated!!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here